A crater exhibiting a system of floor fractures (rilles/crevasses/troughs/moats) and in some cases uplifted crater floor.
A type of impact crater floor modification.
May be Chaotic crater floor (Mars).
Impact craters with deep fractures of varying widths. At the small end, only single fractures occur on otherwise seemingly normal crater floors; at the large end, only remnant high terrain blocks of the crater floor between wide flat-floored fractures are left. Other distinct features include deep annular moats, blocks, and knobs inside the crater floor. The variety of fractured-floor crater (FFC) shapes is thought to be formed (on Mars) in the following...
KeywordsImpact Crater Fissure Eruption Dichotomy Boundary Floor Fracture Crater Floor
- Blair DM, Freed AM, Byrne PK, Klimczak C et al (2012a) Thermally induced graben in peak-ring basins and ghost craters on Mercury. 43rd Lunar Planet Sci Conf, abstract #2501, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Blair DM, Freed AM, Byrne PK, Klimczak C, Prockter L, Ernst C, Solomon SC, Melosh HJ, and Zuber MT (2012b) The origin of graben and ridges in Rachmaninoff, Raditladi, and Mozart basins, Mercury. J Geophys Res. doi:10.1029/2012JE004198 (in press)Google Scholar
- Costard FM, Dollfus A (1987) Thermokarstic evolution of impact craters on Mars. Lunar Planet Sci 18:199–200, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Dundas CM (2009) Investigations of the Martian mid-latitudes: implications for ground ice. PhD dissertation. The University Of ArizonaGoogle Scholar
- Korteniemi J, Aittola M, Öhman T, Raitala J (2006) Floor-fractured craters on the terrestrial planets – the Martian perspective. In: Wilson A (ed) Proceedings, 40th ESLAB – first international conference on impact cratering in the Solar System. ESA special publication SP-612, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, pp 193–198 (CD-ROM)Google Scholar
- Korteniemi J, Eldridge DL, Lough T, Werblin L, Singer K, Kring D (2010) Assessment of lunar volcanic morphological diversity: distribution of floor-fractured craters. 41st Lunar Planet Sci Conf, abstract #1335, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Sato H, Baratoux D, Kurita K (2007) Crevassed craters on Mars: detection of ancient volatile rich crust. In: Seventh international conference on Mars # 3166Google Scholar