Answering Queries Using Views
Rewriting Queries Using Views
Answering queries using views refers to a data management problem and the set of related techniques, algorithms and other results to address it. The basic formulation of the problem is the following: Given a query Q over a database schema Σ, expressed in a query language LQ and a set of views V1, V2,…,Vn over the same schema, expressed in a query language LV, is it possible to answer the query Q using (only) the views V1, V2,…,Vn?
The problem has a number of related formulations: What is the maximal set of tuples in the answer of Q that can be obtained from the views? If it is possible to access both the views and the database relations, what is the cheapest query execution plan for answering Q?
From the above, it is clear that this is more generally a family of problems. Problems of different complexity, often admitting different (or no) solutions and solution techniques, result from making choices about various “parameters” of the...
- 1.Abiteboul S, Duschka O. Complexity of answering queries using materialized views. In: Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 1998. p. 254–63.Google Scholar
- 2.Cohen S, Nutt W, Sagiv Y. Containment of aggregate queries. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Database Theory; 2003. p. 111–25.Google Scholar
- 4.Duschka O, Geneserth M. Answering recursive queries using views. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 1997. p. 109–16.Google Scholar
- 6.Lenzerini M. Data integration: a theoretical perspective. In: Proceedings of the 21st ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 2002. p. 233–46.Google Scholar
- 7.Levy AY, Mendelzon AO, Sagiv Y, Srivastava D. Answering queries using views. In: Proceedings of the 14th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 1995. p. 95–104.Google Scholar
- 8.Lin V, Vassalos V, Malakasiotis P. MiniCount: efficient rewriting of COUNT-Queries using views. In: Proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Data Engineering; 2006. p. 1.Google Scholar
- 9.Papakonstantinou Y, Vassalos V. Query Rewriting using semistructured views. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 1999. p. 455–66.Google Scholar
- 11.Xu A, Meral OZ. Rewriting XPath queries using materialized views. In: Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 2005. p. 121–32.Google Scholar