Authentication; Data confidentiality; Data integrity services
Given a set of local or distributed resources to be protected, a security service is a task (or set of tasks) that coherently performs processing or communication on behalf of the underlying system infrastructure, in order to support and employ several security requirements of both the system and the data sources. Such requirements involve authentication, PKI accessing, etc. over the underlying resources. Security services typically implement portions of security policies and are implemented via particular processes which are called security mechanisms.
Security services are well documented and described in X.800 documentation  for almost all the layers from the physical up to the application layer, whereas focus on security services applied on the Web is given in . Physical and data layer security services focus on support confidentiality at various levels, namely, at the connection and...
- 1.Recommendation X.800 Security architecture for open systems, interconnection for CCITT applications. http://fag.grm.hia.no/IKT7000/litteratur/paper/x800.pdf
- 2.Stoupa K, Vakali A. Policies for web security services, chapter III. In: Ferrari E, Thuraisingham B, editors. Web and information security: Idea Group; 2006.Google Scholar
- 4.Kang J, Adibi S. A review of security protocols in mHealth wireless body area networks (WBAN). In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Future Network Systems and Security; 2015. p. 61–83.Google Scholar
- 5.Fouad MMM, Hassanien AE. Key pre-distribution techniques for WSN security services, vol. 70. 2014. p. 265–83.Google Scholar
- 7.Liang H, Huang D, Cai LX, Shen X, Peng D. Resource allocation for security services in mobile cloud computing. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops; 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.Rosado DG, Fernández-Medina E, López J. Security services architecture for secure mobile grid systems. Spec Issue Secur Dependability Assur Software Archit. 2011;57(3):240–58.Google Scholar
- 9.Demchenko Y, De Laat C, Lopez DR, Garcia-Espin JA. Security services lifecycle management in on-demand infrastructure services provisioning. In: Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science; 30 Nov 2010–3 Dec 2010. p. 644, 650.Google Scholar
- 10.Shin S, Porras PA, Yegneswaran V, Fong MW, Gu G, Tyson M. FRESCO: modular composable security services for software-defined networks. In: Proceedings of the Network and Distributed Systems Security Symposium; 2013.Google Scholar