Object identification; Object labeling
Object recognition is concerned with determining the identity of an object being observed in the image from a set of known labels. Oftentimes, it is assumed that the object being observed has been detected or there is a single object in the image.
As the holy grail of computer vision research is to tell a story from a single image or a sequence of images, object recognition has been studied for more than four decades [9, 22]. Significant efforts have been spent to develop representation schemes and algorithms aiming at recognizing generic objects in images taken under different imaging conditions (e.g., viewpoint, illumination, and occlusion). Within a limited scope of distinct objects, such as handwritten digits, fingerprints, faces, and road signs, substantial success has been achieved. Object recognition is also related to content-based image retrieval and multimedia indexing as a number of generic...
- 4.Edelman S. Representation and recognition in vision. Cambridge: MIT; 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.Fergus R, Perona P, Zisserman A. Object class recognition by unsupervised scale-invariant learning. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2003. p. 264–71.Google Scholar
- 9.Marr D. Vision. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman and Company; 1982.Google Scholar
- 11.Mikolajczyk K, Tuytelaars T, Schmid C, Zisserman A, Matas J, Schaffalitzky F, Kadir T, Van Gool L. A comparison of affine region detectors. Int J Comput Vis. 2006;65(1/2):43–72.Google Scholar
- 13.Zisserman A, Mundy J. Geometric invariance in computer vision. Cambridge: MIT; 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.Nister D, Stewenius H. Scalable recognition with a vocabulary tree. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition; 2006. p. 2161–8.Google Scholar
- 20.Sivic J, Zisserman A. Video Google: a text retrieval approach to object matching in videos. In: Proceedings of the 9th IEEE Conference on Computer Vision; 2003. p. 1470–7.Google Scholar