Tactile Temporal Resolution
- 78 Downloads
Our awareness of surrounding environments is perceived, keeping temporal continuity, which is important for constructing a robust representation of the environment. Temporal limitations to sensory information processing inhibit extraordinal inflow of sensory inputs. For example, in tactile temporal order judgment, in which sensory inputs are successively provided, temporal resolution (as a discriminative limitation) is approximately 50 to 100 (Ide et al. 2019; Takahashi et al. 2013; Yamamoto and Kitazawa 2001). This suggests that we roughly summarize sensory inputs that are delivered within a certain temporal range, as the information of a single unit because of temporal resolution and cognitive processing capacity limitations.
Buhusi and Meck (2005) presented a neural timing process framework which was further sub-divided into three different stages. The millisecond timing stage represents the shortest time scale for neural processing, at ≤1 s, and served speech and motor...
References and Reading
- Honma, M., Itoi, C., Midorikawa, A., Terao, Y., Masaoka, Y., Kuroda, T., … Kato, N. (2019). Contraction of distance and duration production in autism spectrum disorder. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 8806.Google Scholar
- Ide, M., Yaguchi, A., Sano, M., Fukatsu, R., & Wada, M. (2019). Higher tactile temporal resolution as a basis of hypersensitivity in individuals with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 49(1), 44–53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-018-3677-8.
- Miyazaki, M., Kadota, H., Matsuzaki, K. S., Takeuchi, S., Sekiguchi, H., Aoyama, T., & Kochiyama, T. (2016). Dissociating the neural correlates of tactile temporal order and simultaneity judgements. Scientific Reports, 6(1), 23323. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep23323.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Otsuru, N., Kamijo, K., Otsuki, T., Kojima, S., Miyaguchi, S., Saito, K., … Onishi, H. (2019). 10 Hz transcranial alternating current stimulation over posterior parietal cortex facilitates tactile temporal order judgment. Behavioural Brain Research, 368, 111899. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2019.111899.
- Puts, N. A. J., Edden, R. A. E., Evans, C. J., McGlone, F., & McGonigle, D. J. (2011). Regionally specific human GABA concentration correlates with tactile discrimination thresholds. Journal of Neuroscience, 31(46), 16556–16560. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4489-11.2011.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar