Qatar and Autism
- 4 Downloads
Similar to most countries within the region, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) awareness and programming in Qatar have been changing rapidly throughout the past years. Despite ASD being recognized by medical professionals and cases are detected at an estimated similar rate to international trends, ASD was not documented as a separate disability category in Qatar’s national statistics until 2012 (Ministry of Development Planning and Statistics 2013). Nonetheless, the country’s leadership has shown special interest in ASD as there is a recognition of its growing prevalence and the need to provide services for the affected individuals and their families. Hence, on April 2, 2008, Qatar officially joined the United Nations in announcing April 2nd as the world’s “Autism Awareness Day,” an event which was proposed to the UN by Her Highness Sheikha Moza Bint Nasser (United Nations Meetings Coverage and Press Releases 2008). Yet, ASD and general special needs services were...
References and Reading
- Ahram, D. F., Al-Sarraj, Y., Taha, R. Z., Elhag, S. F., Al-Shaban, F. A., El-Shanti, H., & Kambouris, M. (2017). A chromosomal microdeletion of 15q in a female patient with epilepsy, ID, and autism spectrum disorder: A case report. Clinical Case Reports, 5(6), 1013–1017. https://doi.org/10.1002/ccr3.945.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Aldosari, M., Fombonne, E., Aldhalaan, H., Ouda, M., Elhag, S., Alshammari, H., Ghazal, I., Alsaleh, A., Alqadoumi, T., Thomson, R., Al Khasawneh, M., Tolefat, M., & Alshaban, F. (2019). Validation of the Arabic version of the social communication questionnaire. Autism. https://doi.org/10.1177/1362361318816065CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Al-Sarraj, Y., Abul Al-Khair, H., Taha, R. Z., Khattab, N., El-sayed, Z. H., Elhusein, B., & El- Shanti, H. (2014). Distal trisomy 10q syndrome, report of a patient with duplicated q24.31 – Qter, autism spectrum disorder and unusual features. Clinical Case Reports, 2(5), 201–205.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alshaban, F., Aldosari, M., El Sayed, Z., Tolefat, M., El Hag, S., & Al Shammari, H. et al. (2017). Autism spectrum disorder in Qatar: Profiles and correlates of a large clinical sample. Autism & Developmental Language Impairments, 2. 239694151769921.Google Scholar
- Alshaban, F. , Aldosari, M. , Al-Shammari, H. , El-Hag, S. , Ghazal, I. , Tolefat, M. , Ali, M. , Kamal, M. , Abdel Aati, N. , Abeidah, M. , Saad, A. H., Dekair, L. , Al Khasawneh, M. , Ramsay, K., & Fombonne, E. (2019). Prevalence and correlates of autism spectrum disorder in Qatar: A national study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.13066.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. (2015). Committee on the rights of persons with disabilities considers initial report of Qatar. Ohchr.org. Retrieved from: http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=16353&LangID=E
- General Secretariat for Development Planning. (2008). Qatar National Vision 2030. Retrieved from: http://www.mdps.gov.qa/en/qnv1/Pages/default.aspx
- Kelly, M., Alireza, I., Busch, H., Northrop, S., Al-Attrash, M., Ainsleigh, S., & Bhuptani, N. (2016). An overview of autism and applied behavior analysis in the Gulf Cooperation Council in the Middle East. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 3(2), 154–164. 4048901600731.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Development Planning and Statistics. (2013). Chapter IX: Disabilities. Retrieved from: http://www.mdps.gov.qa/en/statistics/Statistical%20Releases/Social/SpecialNeeds/2013/9_Disabilities2013.pdf.
- Ministry of Education. (2007). Education Regarding Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms in the State of Qatar. Human Rights Education in Asian Schools, Vol. 11, pp. 49–55. Doha. Retrieved from: https://www.hurights.or.jp/pub/hreas/11/06HRE%20in%20Schools%20-%20Qatar.pdf
- Munir, K. M., Lavelle, T. A., Helm, D. T., Thompson, D., Prestt, J., & Azeem, M. W. (2016). Autism: A global framework for action: Report of the WISH autism forum. Doha: World Innovation Summit for Health.Google Scholar
- Prime Minister Launches National Autism Plan. (2017). The Peninsula: Qatar’s Daily Newspaper. Retrieved from: https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/article/17/04/2017/Prime-Minister Launches-National-Autism-Plan.
- Qatar Legal Portal. (2004). Law no. 2 of 2004 in respect of people with special needs. AlMeezan: Qatar Legal Portal. Retrieved from: http://www.almeezan.qa/LawArticles.aspx?LawTreeSectionID=2138&lawId=246&language=en.Google Scholar
- Qatar University. (2016). Social Robots at Center of Autism Therapy Research. Retrieved from: http://www.qu.edu.qa/newsroom/Engineering/Social-robots-at-center-of-autism-therapy-research
- Supreme Education Council. (2009). Additional educational support needs: Learning difficulties, disabilities, behavior support. A pack of policies, guidance documents, and support materials for schools. Doha: The Education Institute. Retrieved from: http://www.sec.gov.qa/CS/Additional_Education/AE_English.pdf.Google Scholar
- United Nations Meetings Coverage and Press Releases. (2008). Press Conference by Permanent Mission of Qatar on First World Autism Awareness Day. Un.org. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/press/en/2008/080320_Autism.doc.htm