Metaxa is a software tool for extracting full-length and partial ribosomal small subunit (SSU; 16S/18S/12S) sequences from metagenomic datasets and for classifying the extracted sequences to taxonomic domains and organelle of origin. Metaxa is freely available from http://microbiology.se/software/metaxa/.
A common question in metagenomic studies concerns the species composition of the community sampled (Desai et al. 2012). This is frequently addressed using a specific genetic marker, typically the ribosomal RNA (rRNA) small subunit (SSU) gene sequence (also referred to as the 16S, 18S, or 12S subunit depending on the lineage under scrutiny). In some studies, the SSU gene is amplified by PCR and sequenced separately in order to study microbial diversity. However, even if the SSU sequences are not targeted for separate sequencing, it is still possible to identify and extract the SSU...
KeywordsFASTA File Metagenomic Dataset Blast Match Silva Database Taxonomic Domain
- Bengtsson J, Eriksson KM, Hartmann M, Wang Z, Shenoy BD, Grelet G-A, Abarenkov K, Petri A, Alm Rosenblad M, Nilsson RH. Metaxa: a software tool for automated detection and discrimination among ribosomal small subunit (12S/16S/18S) sequences of archaea, bacteria, eukaryotes, mitochondria, and chloroplasts in metagenomes and environmental sequencing datasets. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. 2011;100(3):471–5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cannone JJ, Subramanian S, Schnare MN, Collett JR, D’Souza LM, Du Y, Feng B, Lin N, Madabusi LV, Müller KM, Pande N, Shang Z, Yu N, Gutell RR. The comparative RNA web (CRW) site: an online database of comparative sequence and structure information for ribosomal, intron, and other RNAs. BMC Bioinformatics. 2002;3:2.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cole JR, Chai B, Farris RJ, Wang Q, Kulam-Syed-Mohideen AS, McGarrell DM, Bandela AM, Cardenas E, Garrity GM, Tiedje JM. The ribosomal database project (RDP-II): introducing myRDP space and quality controlled public data. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35(Database issue):D169–72.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eddy S. HMMER. http://hmmer.janelia.org (2010), Accessed 2012-05-15.
- Hartmann M, Howes CG, Veldre V, Schneider S, Vaishampayan PA, Yannarell AC, Quince C, Johansson P, Björkroth KJ, Abarenkov K, Hallam SJ, Mohn WW, Nilsson RH. V-REVCOMP: automated high-throughput detection of reverse complementary 16S rRNA gene sequences in large environmental and taxonomic datasets. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2011;319(2):140–5.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar