Innovations in Geometry
Geometry is one of the oldest sciences of mankind, dating back 5,000 years and more. Today it is considered a branch of mathematics and deals with questions of shape, size, relative position of figures, and the properties of space. The geometry of the ancient Greeks (Euclid, Archimedes and many others) served as a base for scientific developments in the two millennia that followed. From about 1800 until the computer age, Descriptive Geometry, introduced by Gaspard Monge, was the tool for developing many industrial products – especially for architecture. The rules and results of Descriptive Geometry also contributed to knowledge of design processes.
The introduction of digital production technologies in the automobile and aircraft industries required new geometric research for the design and development of 3D modeling software.
The last two decades once again brought remarkable innovations in the development of even more...
- Glaeser G. Geometry and its applications in arts, nature and technology. New York: Springer Wien (Edition Angewandte), 2012.Google Scholar
- Glaeser G, Polthier K. A mathematical picture book. Berlin: Springer; 2012.Google Scholar
- Gruber F, Wallner G, Glaeser G. Force directed near-orthogonal grid generation on surfaces. J Geomet Graph (JGG). 2010;14:135–45.Google Scholar
- Kilian M, et al. Curved folding, ACM trans. Graphics 27(3) Proceedings SIGGRAPH 2008. http://www.geometrie.tuwien.ac.at/kilian/; 2008.
- Lenarcic J, Husty M. Latest advances in Robot kinematics. New York: Springer; 2012.Google Scholar
- Pottmann H, et al. Archtectural geometry. Exton: Bentley Institute Press; 2007.Google Scholar
- Pottmann H, Schiftner A, Bo P, Schmiedhofer H, Wang W, Baldassini N, Wallner J. Freeform surfaces from single curved panels. ACM Trans. Graphics, 27/3, Proceedings SIGGRAPH, New York, NY, (2008).Google Scholar
- Schadlbauer J, Walter DR, Husty ML. A complete analysis of the of the 3-RPS manipulator. In: Bandyopadhyay S, Kumar GS, Ramu P, editors. Machines and mechanisms. New Delhi: Narosa Publishing House; 2011. p. 410–9.Google Scholar