The Minimum Information about a Flow Cytometry Experiment (MIFlowCyt) is a formal recommendation of the International Society for Advancement of Cytometry (ISAC) that outlines the minimum information required to report flow cytometry experiments (Lee et al. 2008). MIFlowCyt is supported by ISAC’s public database for flow cytometry data (Spidlen et al. 2012) (FlowRepository – http://flowrepository.org), which helps researchers share and annotate their datasets in a MIFlowCyt-compatible way.
A fundamental tenet of scientific research is that published results are open to independent validation and refutation, and history has shown a profound need for scientific data to be easily available and accessible. Minimum data standards aid data producers, users, and publishers by providing a specification of what is needed to unambiguously interpret experimental findings. In flow cytometry, MIFlowCyt has been adopted by the community and journals to establish criteria...
- Ball CA, Brazma A, Causton H, Chervitz S, Edgar R, Hingamp P, Matese JC, Parkinson H, Quackenbush J, Ringwald M, Sansone S-A, Sherlock G, Spellman P, Stoeckert C, Tateno Y, Taylor R, White J, Winegarden N (2004) Submission of microarray data to public repositories. PLoS Biol 2:E317CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kotecha N, Krutzik PO, Irish JM (2010) Web-based analysis and publication of flow cytometry experiments. Curr Protoc Cytom. Chapter 10, Unit 10.17Google Scholar
- Lee JA, Spidlen J, Boyce K, Cai J, Crosbie N, Dalphin M, Furlong J, Gasparetto M, Goldberg M, Goralczyk EM, Hyun B, Jansen K, Kollmann T, Kong M, Leif R, McWeeney S, Moloshok TD, Moore W, Nolan G, Nolan J, Nikolich-Zugich J, Parrish D, Purcell B, Qian Y, Selvaraj B, Smith C, Tchuvatkina O, Wertheimer A, Wilkinson P, Wilson C, Wood J, Zigon R, For Advancement of Cytometry Data Standards Task Force IS, Scheuermann RH, Brinkman RR (2008) MIFlowCyt: the minimum information about a flow cytometry experiment. Cytom Part A 73(10):926–930CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spidlen J, Moore W, Parks D, Goldberg M, Bray C, Bierre P, Gorombey P, Hyun B, Hubbard M, Lange S, Lefebvre R, Leif R, Novo D, Ostruszka L, Treister A, Wood J, Murphy RF, Roederer M, Sudar D, Zigon R, Brinkman PR (2010) Data file standard for flow cytometry, version FCS 3.1. Cytom Part A 77(1):97–100Google Scholar
- Spidlen J, Breuer K, Brinkman RR (2012) Preparing a minimum information about a flow cytometry experiment (MIFlowCyt) compliant manuscript using the international society for advancement of cytometry (ISAC) FCS file repository (FlowRepository.org). Curr Protoc Cytom. Chapter 10, Unit 10.18Google Scholar