Strategic Environmental Archaeology Database (SEAD)
Environmental archaeology encompasses a wide range of scientific methods for analyzing the results of past human activities, environments, climates, and, perhaps most importantly, the relationships between these. Many of these methods are referred to as proxy analyses, denoting the illumination of the past as interpreted through the evidence of fossil organisms or properties. These lines of evidence, or proxy data sources, are assumed to reflect past conditions by way of their dependence on them. For example, crops will only grow within a specific climate range; organic waste will lead to increased soil phosphate levels, and burning increases magnetic susceptibility. While it is easier to store, manage, and analyze the data produced by these methods individually, there is much to be gained from multi-proxy integration at the raw data level. Despite this methodological diversity, the common factors of space, time, and context allow us to compare and integrate the results...
- ABCD. 2009. The Archaeobotanical Computer Database. Initiated by Philippa Tomlinson and managed by Allan Hall. University of York, UK. Available at: http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/chumpal/ARH/ABCD-webpage.doc.
- Artdatabanken. 2012. The Swedish Species Information Centre. Available at: http://www.slu.se/en/collaborative-centres-and-projects/artdatabanken/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- BRC. 2012. Biological Records Centre. Available at: http://www.brc.ac.uk/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- Brewer, S., S.T. Jackson & J.W. Williams. 2012. Paleoecoinformatics: applying geohistorical data to ecological questions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 27(2): 104–112.Google Scholar
- Buckland, P.I., E.J. Eriksson, J. Linderholm, K. Viklund, R. Engelmark, F. Palm, P. Svensson, P.C. Buckland, E. Panagiotakopulu & J. Olofsson. 2010. Integrating human dimensions of arctic palaeoenvironmental science: SEAD – The Strategic Environmental Archaeology Database. Journal of Archaeological Science. 38(2): 345–351. doi: 10.1016/j.jas.2010.09.011.Google Scholar
- Buckland, P.I. & P.C. Buckland. 2006. BugsCEP Coleopteran ecology package. IGBP PAGES/World Data Center for Paleoclimatology Data contribution series # 2006–116. NOAA/NCDC Paleoclimatology Program, Boulder CO, USA. Available at: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/insect.html and http://www.bugscep.com (accessed 29 May 2012).
- ECDS. 2012. Environment Climate Data Sweden, SEAD project entry: http://ecds.smhi.se/ecdsportal/srv/en/metadata.show?uuid=2b5a90f9-1530-4b66-a987-27060d9e6 (accessed 30 May 2012).
- EPD. 2009. The European Pollen Database. Available at: http://europeanpollendatabase.net (accessed 30 May 2012).
- FMIS. 2012. The Swedish National Heritage Board online sites and monuments record. Available at: http://www.fmis.raa.se/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- GBIF. 2012. The Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Available at: http://www.gbif.org/(accessed 30 May 2012).
- NEOTOMA. 2009. The Neotoma Multiproxy Palaeoecology Database. Available at: http://www.neotomadb.org/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- SEAD. 2012. The Strategic Environmental Archaeology Database. Available at: http://sead.se/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- SND. 2012. The Swedish National Data Service, SEAD project entry: http://snd.gu.se/en/catalogue/study/62 (accessed 30 May 2012).
- tDAR. 2012. The Digital Archaeological Record. Available at: http://www.tdar.org/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- WODAN. 2009. The Irish Archaeological Wood and Charcoal Database. Principle investigator: Ingelise Stuijts. Available at: http://www.wodan.ie/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- ADS. 2012. Archaeological data service. Available at: http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/ (accessed 30 May 2012).
- Buckland, P.I. 2010a. SEAD – The Strategic Environmental Archaeology Database. An international research cyber-infrastructure for studying past changes in climate, environment and human activities. Journal of Northern Studies 1: 113–126.Google Scholar
- - 2010b. Environmental archaeology, climate change and E-science. Skytteanska Samfundets årsbok 2010, Thule: 55–69.Google Scholar
- - 2011. Freeing information to the people. International Innovation, EuroFocus 4: Nordic Spotlight: 51–53.Google Scholar
- Europeana. n.d. Available at: http://www.europeana.eu/(accessed 31 May 2012).
- Palm, F. 2008. Crossing the archival borders, in P. Cunningham & M. Cunningham (ed.) IST-Africa 2008 Conference Proceedings: 57–63. IIMC International Information Management Corporation. Available at: http://qviz.eu/downloads/ISTAfrica2008_Paper_ref_57.pdf.
- - 2009. Abstracting query building for multi-entity faceted browsing. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 5822/2009: 53–63. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-04957-6_5Google Scholar
- SEAD related publications will be made available at http://sead.se/publications/index.html.
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014