In the plane with xy-Cartesian coordinates N copies of the real line labeled X̄ 1, X̄ 2,..., X̄ N are placed equidistant and perpendicular to the x-axis. They are the axes of the multidimensional system of Parallel Coordinates all having the same positive orientation as the y-axis. An N-tuple, N-dimensional point, C = ( c 1, c 2,..., c N) is represented by the polygonal line C̄ whose N vertices are at the c i values on each X̄ i-axis as shown in Fig. 1. In this way, a 1–1 correspondence between points in N-dimensional space and polygonal lines with vertices on the parallel axes is established. In principle, a large number of axes can be placed and be seen parallel to each other. The representation of points is deceptively simple and much development with additional ideas is needed to enable the visualization of multivariate relationsor equivalently...
- 1.Chomut T. Exploratory data analysis in parallel coordinates. M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, UCLA, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Eickemeyer J. Visualizing p-Flats in N-Space Using Parallel Coordinates. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science, UCLA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.Friendly M. et al. Milestones in Thematic Cartography. www.math.yorku.ca/scs/SCS/Gallery/milestones/, 2005.
- 4.Gennings C., Dawson K.S., Carter W.H., and Myers R.H. Interpreting plots of a multidimensional dose-response surface in parallel coordinates. Biometrics, 46:719–35, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.Hung C.K. and Inselberg A. Parallel Coordinate Representation of Smooth Hypersurfaces. USC Tech. Report # CS-92-531, Los Angeles, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.Inselberg A. N-dimensional coordinates. In Proc. of IEEE Conf. Picture Data Description, 1980.Google Scholar
- 7.Inselberg A. N-dimensional graphics, LASC Tech. Rep. G320-2711, IBM, 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Inselberg A. Intelligent instrumentation and process control. In Proc. Second IEEE Conf. on AI Application, 1985, pp. 302–307.Google Scholar
- 10.Inselberg A. Discovering multi-dimensional structure with parallel coordinates (invited paper). In Proc. ASA.– Stat. Graphics 1–16, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.Inselberg A. Parallel Coordinates : VISUAL Multidimensional Geometry and its Applications. Springer, 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.Inselberg A. and Avidan T. The Automated Multidimensional Detective. In Proc. IEEE Information Visualization, 1999, pp. 112–119.Google Scholar
- 14.Schmid C. and Hinterberger H. Comparative Multivariate Visualization Across Conceptually Different Graphic Displays, In Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Scientific and Statistical Database Management, 1994.Google Scholar
- 15.Ward M.O. XmdvTool: integrating multiple methods for visualizing multivariate data. In Proc. IEEE Conf. on Visualization, 1994, pp. 326–333.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2009