View-based Data Integration
Data Integration (or Information Integration) is the problem of finding and combining data from different sources. View-based Data Integration is a framework that solves the data integration problem for structured data by integrating sources into a single unified view. This integration is facilitated by a declarative mapping language that allows the specification of how each source relates to the unified view. Depending on the type of view specification language used, view-based data integration systems (VDISs) are said to follow the Global as View (GAV), Local as View (LAV) or Global and Local as View (GLAV) approach.
Data needed by an application are often provided by a multitude of data sources. The sources often employ heterogeneous data formats (e.g., text files, web pages, XML documents, relational databases), structure the data in different ways and can be accessed through different methods (e.g., web forms, database clients). This makes the task...
- 1.Abiteboul S. and Duschka O.M. Complexity of answering queries using materialized views. In Proc. 17th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, 1998, pp. 254–263.Google Scholar
- 2.Carey M.J., Haas L.M., Schwarz P.M., Arya M., Cody W.F., Fagin R., Flickner M., Luniewski A., Niblack W., Petkovic D., Thomas II J., Williams J.H., and Wimmers E.L. Towards heterogeneous multimedia information systems: The Garlic approach. In Proc. 5th Int. Workshop on Research Issues on Data Eng., 1995, pp. 124–131.Google Scholar
- 3.Fagin R., Kolaitis P.G., Miller R.J., and Popa L. Data exchange: Semantics and query answering. In Proc. Int. Conf. on Database Theory, 2002. pp. 207–224.Google Scholar
- 4.Friedman M., Levy A., and Millstein T. Navigational plans for data integration. In Proc. 16th National Conf. on AI and 11th Innovative Applications of AI Conf., 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Genesereth M.R., Keller A.M., and Duschka O.M. Infomaster: An information integration system. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.Halevy A. Logic-based techniques in data integration. In Logic Based Artif. Intell., 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.Katsis Y., Deutsch A., and Papakonstantinou Y. interactive source registration in community-oriented information integration. In Proc. 34th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 2008.Google Scholar
- 10.Kirk T., Levy A.Y., Sagiv Y., and Srivastava D. The information manifold. In Information Gathering from Heterogeneous, Distributed Environments, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.Landers T. and Rosenberg R.L. An overview of MULTIBASE. Distributed systems, Vol. II: distributed data base systems table of contents, 1986, pp. 391–421.Google Scholar
- 12.Lenzerini M. Data integration: A theoretical perspective. In Proc. 21st ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Manolescu I., Florescu D., and Kossmann D. Answering XML queries over heterogeneous data sources. In Proc. 27th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 2001.Google Scholar
- 14.Widom J. Research problems in data warehousing. In Proc. 27th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.Yu C. and Popa L. Constraint-based XML query rewriting for data integration. In Proc. 27th Int. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, 2004.Google Scholar