QGIS; Open Source; Qt libray; MapServer
Quantum GIS  is an opensource GIS written in C++ available under the conditions of the GPL license. It is based on the C++ crossplattform library Qt from Trolltech . Therefore, it runs on most existing operating systems, including Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and Windows. The name ‘Quantum GIS’ has no special meaning, except that it starts with a Q, indicating that it uses the Qt library.
The main focus of QGIS is interactive two dimensional viewing of spatial data. However, there is also functionality for editing vector data and a GRASS plugin to use the analytical functionality of the GRASS program  from within the QGIS GUI. QGIS supports a large number of vector and raster formats, including PostGIS, GRASS, Shapefile, GML, WFS, GPX, WMS, GeoTiff, PNG, JPG and many others. QGIS supports reprojecting on-the-fly for vector data sets by using the PROJ4 library.
QGIS provides a plugin mechanism which can be used to add support...
KeywordsData Provider Open Source Program Project File Party Application Individual Data Source
- 1.QGIS (2006) Homepage of the QGIS project. http://qgis.org. Accessed 21 Dec 2006
- 2.Sherman et al. (2006) QGIS user guide. http://qgis.org/releases/userguide.pdf. Accessed 21 Dec 2006
- 3.GRASS (2006) Homepage of the GRASS project. http://www.grass.itc.it/. Accessed 21 Dec 2006
- 4.Trolltech (2006) Qt documentation. http://doc.trolltech.com/. Accessed 21 Dec 2006
- 5.QGIS WMS (2006) QGIS WMS server homepage. http://karlinapp.ethz.ch/qgis_wms/qgis_wms.html. Accessed 21 Dec 2006