Training in Language Assessment
This chapter addresses major issues involved in training language instructors to make informed decisions throughout the assessment process. Within the context of the chapter, the ‘assessment process’ refers to developing, scoring, interpreting and improving classroom‐based assessments as well as selecting, administering, interpreting and sharing results of large‐scale tests developed by professional testing organizations (Stoynoff and Chapelle, 2005). This chapter also explores the gap between language testing practice and the training of language instructors in language assessment, and the importance of bridging this gap for improved learning, teaching and assessment (Trim, 2005). The term ‘assessment literacy’ has been proposed to describe what language instructors need to know about assessment (Boyles, 2005; Stiggins, 1997; Stoynoff and Chapelle, 2005). This chapter closes with a discussion of this term.
As pressure for language instructors and educational institutions...
KeywordsClassroom Teacher English Language Learner Language Instructor Language Testing Communicative Competence
The author wishes to thank Elana Shohamy, Jamie Schissel, Colleen Gallagher, Meg Montee and an anonymous reviewer for their comments on this chapter.
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages: 1997, ESL Standards for Pre‐K‐12 Students, TESOL, Alexandria, VA.Google Scholar
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languges: 2001, Scenarios for ESL Standards‐Based Assessment TESOL, Alexandria, VA.Google Scholar
- Council of Europe: 2005, Summary Progress Report 2005, Council of Europe, Strassburg.Google Scholar
- Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks: 2006, www.language.ca., Accessed December, 2006.
- Alderson, J.C., Figueras, N., Kiujper, H., Nold, G., Takala, S., and Tardieu, C.: 2006, Analysing Tests of Reading and Listening in Relation to the Common European Framework of Reference: The Experience of The Dutch CEFR Construct Project. Language Assessment Quaterly, 3(1), 3–30CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alderson, J.C. and North, B. (eds.): 1991, Language Testing in the 1990s, Modern English Publications, London.Google Scholar
- Alicea, I.: 2005, NCLB Requirements Prompt Changes in ELL Assessment ELL Outlook, November/December. Accessed March 11, 2007-03-19 4 5.Google Scholar
- Amrein, A.L. and Berliner, D.C.: 2002, High stakes testing, uncertainty and student learning, Education Policy Analysis Archives 10(18). Retrieved March 11, 2007 from http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/vion18
- Bachman, L.: 1990, Fundamental Considerations in Language Testing, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Bachman, L. and Palmer, A.: 1996, Language Testing in Practice, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Black, P. and Wiliam, D.: 1998, Inside the black box: Raising standards through classroom assessment, Phi Delta Kappa International, 143.Google Scholar
- Boyles, P.: 2005, ‘Assessment literacy’, in M. Rosenbusch, (ed.), National Assessment Summit Papers, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 11–15.Google Scholar
- Brindley, G: 1991, ‘Assessing achievement in a learner‐centered curriculum’, in J.C. Alderson and North, B. (eds.), 1991, Language Testing in the 1990s, Modern English Publications, London, 153–166.Google Scholar
- Brindley, G.: 1997, Assessment and the language teacher: Trends and transitions, Language Teacher Online 2 21(9). http://www.jalt_publications.org/tlt/files/97/sep/brindley.html.
- Brown, J.D. (ed.): 1998, New ways of classroom assessment. Washington, DC: Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages.Google Scholar
- Carroll, B.J.: 1991, ‘Resistance to Change’ in J.C. Alderson and B. North, (eds.), 1991, Language Testing in the 1990s, Modern English Publications, London, 22–27.Google Scholar
- CEFR: 2005, http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/Linguistic/Accessed December 15, 2006.
- Cohen, A.: 1980, Assessing Language Ability in the Classroom, Heinle and Heinle, Boston.Google Scholar
- Cohen, A.: 1994, Assessing Language Ability in the Classroom, Heinle and Heinle, Boston.Google Scholar
- Davidson, F. and Lynch, B.: 2002, Testcraft Yale University Press, New Haven.Google Scholar
- Dietel, R., Herman, J.L., and Knuth, R.A.: 1991, ‘What Does Research Say About Assessment?’ NCREL, Oak Brook.Google Scholar
- Fulcher, G.: 2004, Are Europe's tests being built on an ‘unsafe’ framework? Education Guardian, 18 March.Google Scholar
- Fulcher, G.: 2006, Resources in Language Testing Page. Retrieved January 10, 2007. from http://www.le.ac.uk/education/testing/ltrfile/ltrframe.html.
- Fulcher, G. and Thrasher, R., Video FAQs: Introducing Topics in Language Testing. Retrieved January 10, 2007, from http://www.le.ac.uk/education/testing/ilta/faqs/main.html.
- Gallagher, C., Montee., M., and MacGregor, D.: 2006, November, Revisions to CAL's Foreign Language Database. Poster presentation at the convention of the American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages, Nashville, TN.Google Scholar
- Genesee, F. and Upshur, J.: 1996, Classroom‐Based Evaluation in Second Language Education, Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Harris, D.: 1969, Testing English as a Second Language. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Henning, G.: 1987, A Guide to Language Testing: Development, Evaluation, Research, Heinle and Heinle, Boston.Google Scholar
- Hughes, A.: 1991, Testing for Language Teachers, Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Hughes, A.: 2004, Testing for Language Teachers, Cambridge University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Kenyon, D. and Stansfield, C.: 1993, ‘A method for improving tasks on performance‐based assessments through field testing’, in A., Huhta, K. Sajavaara, and S. Takala (eds.), Language Testing: New Openings, Institute for Educational Research, Jyväskylä, Finland, 90–102.Google Scholar
- Kenyon, D.M.: 1997, ‘Further research on the efficacy of rater self‐training’, in A. Huhta, V. Kohonen, L. Kurki‐Suonio and S. Luoma (eds.), Current Developments and Alternatives in Language Assessment: Proceedings of LTRC 96, University of Jyväskylä, Jyväskylä, Finland, 257–273.Google Scholar
- National Study of School Evaluation: 2002, Indicators of Schools of Quality: English as a Second Language, NSSE, Schaumberg, IL.Google Scholar
- North, B.: 2004, ‘Europe's framework promotes language discussion, not directives’. Education Guardian, 15 April. A reply to Glenn Fulcher Google Scholar
- Oller, J.W.: 1979, Language Tests at School. London: Longman Group Limited.Google Scholar
- O'Malley, J.M. and Valdez Pierce, L.: 1996, Authentic assessment for English language learners: Practical approaches for teachers, Addison‐Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, MA.Google Scholar
- Ommaggio Hadley, A.: 1993, Teaching Language in Context. Boston, MA: Heinle and Heinle.Google Scholar
- Messick, S.: 1989, ‘Validity’, in R.L. Linn (ed.), Educational measurement, MacMillan, New York.Google Scholar
- Moore, Z.: 1994, ‘The portfolio and testing culture’, in C. Hancock (ed.), Teaching, Testing and Assessment: Making the Connection, National Textbook Company, Lincolnwood, IL, 163–182.Google Scholar
- Peterson, B.: 2002, ‘Leaving English Language Learners Behind’ Rethinking Schools. http://www.rethinkingschools.org/specialreports/bushplan/leav171.shtml accessed March 11.
- Spolsky, B.: 1977, ‘Language Testing: An Art or Science’, in Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress of Applied Linguistics, Hochsculverlag, Stuttgart 7–28.Google Scholar
- Spolsky, B.: 1995, Measured Word, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Stiggins, G.: 1997, Student Centered Classroom Assessment, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River.Google Scholar
- Stoynoff, S. and Chapelle, C.A.: 2005, ESOL Tests and Testing: A resource for teachers and program administrators, TESOL Publications, Alexandria, VA.Google Scholar
- Swender, E., Abbott, M., Vicars, R., and Malone, M.: 2006, November, ‘The Assessment of Performance and Proficiency in Testing: A Report’. Presentation at the convention of the American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages, Nashville, TN.Google Scholar
- Taylor, C.S. and Nolan, S.B.: 1996, ‘What does the psychometrician's classroom look like? Reframing Assessment concepts in the context of learning’. Educational Policy Archives 14, 7.Google Scholar
- Trim, J.: 2005, September, The role of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages in teacher training. Lecture Delivered to Council of Europe Teacher Trainers Workshop, Graz. www.wida.us, accessed December, 2006.
- Wiggins, G.: 1994, ‘Toward more authentic assessment of language performances’ in C. Hancock (ed.), Teaching, Testing and Assessment: Making the Connection, National Textbook Company, Lincolnwood, IL, 69–86.Google Scholar
- Wright, P.W.D. and Wright, P.D.: 2004, Understanding Tests and Measurements for the Parent and Advocate. LDOnline.Google Scholar