Approximate Tandem Repeats
Keywords and Synonyms
Approximate repetitions; Approximate periodicities
Identification of periodic structures in words (variants of which are known as tandem repeats, repetitions, powers or runs) is a fundamental algorithmic task (see entry Squares and Repetitions). In many practical applications, such as DNA sequence analysis, considered repetitions admit a certain variation between copies of the repeated pattern. In other words, repetitions under interest are approximate tandem repeats and not necessarily exact repeats only.
The simplest instance of an approximate tandem repeat is an approximate square. An approximate square in a word w is a subword uv, where u and v are within a given distance kaccording to some distance measure between words, such as Hamming distance or edit (also called Levenstein) distance. There are several ways to define approximate tandem repeats as successions of approximate squares, i. e. to generalize to the approximate case the...
KeywordsTandem Repeat Edit Distance Myotonic Dystrophy Maximal Repeat Suffix Tree
This work was supported in part by the National Science Foundation Grant DB&I 0542751.
- 2.Boeva, V.A., Régnier, M., Makeev, V.J.: SWAN: searching for highly divergent tandem repeats in DNA sequences with the evaluation of their statistical significance. Proceedings of JOBIM 2004, Montreal, Canada, p. 40 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Butler, J.M.: Forensic DNA Typing: Biology and Technology Behind STR Markers. Academic Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Gelfand, Y., Rodriguez, A., Benson, G.: TRDB – The Tandem Repeats Database. Nucl. Acids Res. 35(suppl. 1), D80–D87 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Kolpakov, R., Kucherov, G.: Finding maximal repetitions in a word in linear time. In: 40th Symp. Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), pp. 596–604. IEEE Computer Society Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Kolpakov, R., Kucherov, G.: Finding approximate repetitions under Hamming distance. Theoret. Comput. Sci. 33(1), 135–156, (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Kolpakov, R., Kucherov, G.: Identification of periodic structures in words. In: Berstel, J., Perrin, D. (eds.) Applied combinatorics on words. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications. Lothaire books, vol. 104, pp. 430–477. Cambridge University Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Sokol, D., Benson, G., Tojeira, J.: Tandem repeats over the edit distance. Bioinform. 23(2), e30–e35 (2006)Google Scholar