Evaluation of p47phox Phosphorylation in Human Neutrophils Using Phospho-Specific Antibodies
Superoxide anions production by neutrophils plays a key role in host defense against pathogens and in inflammation. The enzyme responsible for this process is called the NADPH oxidase. It is a multicomponent enzyme comprised of a membrane-bound flavocytochrome b558 and several cytosolic proteins (p47phox, p67phox, p40phox, and p21rac1/2). The phosphorylation of p47phox is essential for the activation of the complex in intact cells. Until recently, analysis of the phosphorylation of p47phox in neutrophils required radioactive labeling, which implied the use of high amount of radioactive (32P)-orthophosphoric acid, high number of cells, and protein recovery by immunoprecipitation. In this study, we describe a radioactive-free technique to analyze the phosphorylation of p47phox in cell lysates, based on the use of phospho-specific antibodies, SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE), and Western blotting. This technique could be used to quickly and easily study the phosphorylation of p47phox under different conditions, such as testing the effects of pharmacological agents in this process or assessing the activation status of neutrophils in situ.
KeywordsNeutrophils p47phox-phosphorylation NADPH oxidase NOX2 Phospho-specific antibodies
This work was supported by grants from INSERM, CNRS, University Paris7, the Labex Inflammex, and the association Vaincre la mucoviscidose (VLM).
- 2.El-Benna J, Dang PM, Gougerot-Pocidalo MA, Elbim C (2005) Phagocyte NADPH oxidase: a multicomponent enzyme essential for host defenses. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz) 3:199–206Google Scholar
- 10.El Benna J, Faust LP, Johnson JL, Babior BM (1996) Phosphorylation of the respiratory burst oxidase subunit p47phox as determined by two-dimensional phosphopeptide mapping. Phosphorylation by protein kinase C, protein kinase A, and a mitogen-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem 271:6374–6378PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Belambri SA, Hurtado-Nedelec M, Senator A, Makni-Maalej K, Fay M, Gougerot-Pocidalo MA, Marie JC, Dang PM, El-Benna J (2012) Phosphorylation of p47phox is required for receptor-mediated NADPH oxidase/NOX2 activation in Epstein-Barr virus-transformed human B lymphocytes. Am J Blood Res 2:187–193PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Dewas C, Dang PM, Gougerot-Pocidalo MA, El-Benna J (2003) TNF-alpha induces phosphorylation of p47(phox) in human neutrophils: partial phosphorylation of p47phox is a common event of priming of human neutrophils by TNF-alpha and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor. J Immunol 171:4392–4398PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Dang PMC, Stensballe A, Boussetta T, Raad H, Dewas C, Kroviarski Y, Hayem G, Jensen ON, Gougerot-Pocidalo MA, El-Benna J (2006) A specific p47phox-serine phosphorylated by convergent MAPKs mediates neutrophil NADPH oxidase priming at inflammatory sites. J Clin Invest 116:2033–2043PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Boussetta T, Gougerot-Pocidalo MA, Hayem G, Ciappelloni S, Raad H, Arabi Derkawi R, Bournier O, Kroviarski Y, Zhou XZ, Malter JS, Lu PK, Bartegi A, Dang PM, El-Benna J (2010) The prolyl isomerase Pin1 acts as a novel molecular switch for TNF-alpha-induced priming of the NADPH oxidase in human neutrophils. Blood 116:5795–5802PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Makni-Maalej K, Boussetta T, Hurtado-Nedelec M, Belambri SA, Gougerot-Pocidalo MA, El-Benna J (2012) The TLR7/8 agonist CL097 primes N-formyl-methionyl-leucyl-phenylalanine-stimulated NADPH oxidase activation in human neutrophils: critical role of p47phox phosphorylation and the proline isomerase Pin1. J Immunol 189:4657–4665PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar