Evaluating the MicroRNA Targeting Sites by Luciferase Reporter Gene Assay
MicroRNAs are post-transcriptional regulators that control mRNA stability and the translation efficiency of their target genes. Mature microRNAs are approximately 22-nucleotide in length. They mediate post-transcriptional gene regulation by binding to the imperfect complementary sequences (a.k.a. microRNA regulatory elements, MRE) in the target mRNAs. It is estimated that more than one-third of the protein-coding genes in the human genome are regulated by microRNAs. The experimental methods to examine the interaction between the microRNA and its targeting site(s) in the mRNA are important for understanding microRNA functions. The luciferase reporter gene assay has recently been adapted to test the effect of microRNAs. In this chapter, we use a previously identified miR-138 targeting site in the 3′-untranslated region (3′-UTR) of the RhoC mRNA as an example to describe a quick method for testing the interaction of microRNA and mRNA.
Key wordsMicroRNA MicroRNA targeting sequence MicroRNA regulatory element Luciferase reporter gene assay miR-138 RhoC
This work was supported in part by NIH PHS grants (CA135992, CA139596, DE014847) and supplementary funding from UIC CCTS (UL1RR029879). Y.J. is supported by PHS T32DE018381 from NIDCR. We thank Ms. Katherine Long for her editorial assistance.
- 3.Dai Y, Zhou X (2010) Computational methods for the identification of microRNA targets. Open Access Bioinform 2:29–39Google Scholar
- 5.Siegel G, Obernosterer G, Fiore R, Oehmen M, Bicker S, Christensen M, Khudayberdiev S, Leuschner PF, Busch CJ, Kane C, Hubel K, Dekker F, Hedberg C, Rengarajan B, Drepper C, Waldmann H, Kauppinen S, Greenberg ME, Draguhn A, Rehmsmeier M, Martinez J, Schratt GM (2009) A functional screen implicates microRNA-138-dependent regulation of the depalmitoylation enzyme APT1 in dendritic spine morphogenesis. Nat Cell Biol 11:705–716PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Mitomo S, Maesawa C, Ogasawara S, Iwaya T, Shibazaki M, Yashima-Abo A, Kotani K, Oikawa H, Sakurai E, Izutsu N, Kato K, Komatsu H, Ikeda K, Wakabayashi G, Masuda T (2008) Downregulation of miR-138 is associated with overexpression of human telomerase reverse transcriptase protein in human anaplastic thyroid carcinoma cell lines. Cancer Sci 99:280–286PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Jiang L, Dai Y, Liu X, Wang C, Wang A, Chen Z, Heidbreder CE, Kolokythas A, Zhou X (2011) Identification and experimental validation of G protein alpha inhibiting activity polypeptide 2 (GNAI2) as a microRNA-138 target in tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Hum Genet 129:189–197PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jiang L, Liu X, Kolokythas A, Yu J, Wang A, Heidbreder CE, Shi F, Zhou X (2010) Down-regulation of the Rho GTPase signaling pathway is involved in the microRNA-138 mediated inhibition of cell migration and invasion in tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer 127:505–512PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar