High-Throughput Sequencing of the Methylome Using Two-Base Encoding
Methylation of Cytosine together with other epigenetic traits plays an important role in the development and regulation of both healthy and diseased cells. Changes in the methylation patterns have been shown to be associated with the development of cancer, growth, neurodevelopmental, and endocrine disorders (Laird PW, Nat Rev Genet 11:191–203, 2010; Tost J, Mol Biotechnol 44:71–81, 2010; Zuo T et al., Epigenomics 1:331–345, 2009). Thus, studying the methylation pattern can give important insights to the underlying causes of disease and development. A method for studying the methylome on a single base resolution is described, using bisulfite sequencing in combination with the high-throughput SOLiDTM sequencing technology.
Key wordsNext generation sequencing Bisulfite sequencing Methylation SOLiDTM sequencing Methylome Epigenome Global methylation profiling
I like to thank my colleagues Clarence Lee and Tim Harkins for their support and guidance on this work and Quynh Doan, Robert Nutter, and Vrunda Sheth for their valuable comments and tips.
- 11.Bormann Chung CA, Boyd VL, McKernan KJ et al (2010) Whole methylome analysis by ultra-deep sequencing using two-base encoding. PLoS One. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009320Google Scholar
- 23.Ranade SS, Chung CB, Zon G et al (2009) Preparation of genome-wide DNA fragment libraries using bisulfite in polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis slices with formamide denaturation and quality control for massively parallel sequencing by oligonucleotide ligation and detection. Anal Biochem 390:126–135PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Marnellos G, Krissinger D, Meredith G D et al. (2010) Genome-wide methylation data analysis on the SOLiDTM System. 60th Annual Meeting of The American Society of Human Genetics, Washington, DC, 5 November 2010, abstract #1337Google Scholar
- 26.Meredith GD, Dudas M, Levandowsky E et al. (2010) Efficient whole-genome DNA methylation analysis of the Human Reference Genome (HuRef). 60th Annual Meeting of The American Society of Human Genetics, Washington, DC, 5 November 2010, abstract #1385Google Scholar
- 27.Meredith GD, Marnellos G, D’Ippolito A et al. (2010) Efficient whole-genome DNA methylation analysis of the human fibroblast cell-line IMR-90 and the plant A. thaliana. Epigenetics Europe Conference, Select Biosciences, Dublin, Ireland, 14–15 September 2010, abstract # 323Google Scholar