Phage display has emerged as one of the leading technologies for the selection and generation of highly specific antibodies, offering a number of advantages over traditional ways of antibody generation such as mouse hybridoma techniques. While there are various possibilities to conduct phage display, selection of antibodies via solution panning is an elegant way to circumvent conformation changes of antigen, which may arise when performing panning with antigen immobilized on a solid surface. Here, a standard solution panning procedure using a Fab based antibody library including primary screening for selectivity is described.
Key wordsAntibody fragment Phage display Antibody library Fab Solution panning
- 2.Emil von Behring – Biography. Nobelprize.org. http://www.nobeprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/1901/behring.html. Accessed 16 Feb 2012
- 10.Burton DR, Scott JK, Silverman GJ (2001) Phage display. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USAGoogle Scholar
- 13.Rothe C, Urlinger S, Lohning C et al (2008) The human combinatorial antibody library HuCAL GOLD combines diversification of all six CDRs according to the natural immune system with a novel display method for efficient selection of high-affinity antibodies. J Mol Biol 376:1182–1200PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Thermo Scientific Avidin-Biotin Technical Handbook (2009) http://www.piercenet.com/browse.cfm?fldID=84EBE112-F871-4CA5-807F-47327153CFCB
- 17.Hermanson GT (2008) Bioconjugate techniques, 2nd edn. Academic, New York, NYGoogle Scholar
- 18.Clackson T, Lowman HB (2004) Phage display: a practical approach. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar