Laser-Capture Microdissection for Factor VIII-Expressing Endothelial Cells in Cancer Tissues
The immunostaining based Laser-capture microdissection (LCM) method called immune-LCM allows us to quantify the mRNA. Immune-LCM has recently been introduced to enhance identification of cells carrying a particular protein from frozen tissue samples. We have recently performed the immune-LCM of formaldehyde-fixated, paraffin-embedded tissues immunostained with a monoclonal antibody Factor VIII. This method could be useful for quantitative gene expression analysis in blood vessels from tumors of patients that have been treated with antiangiogenic drugs, allowing for validation of the effect of drug on the expected targets. Such capability might be exceedingly useful for the evaluation of the bioactivity of new drugs. This method is also useful to compare gene expression patterns in tumor cells versus endothelial cells during tumor progression or tumor angiogenesis.
Key wordsLaser-capture microdissection Endothelial cells Gene expression Immune-LC FFPE tissues
- 1.Emmert-Buck MR, Bonner RF, Smith PD, Chuaqui RF, Zhuang Z, Goldstein SR, Weiss RA, Liotta LA. (1996) Laser capture microdissection. Science 274, 998–1001.Google Scholar
- 2.Fend F, Emmert-Buck MR, Chuaqui R, Cole K, Lee J, Liotta LA, Raffeld M. (1999) Immuno-LCM: laser capture microdissection of immunostained frozen sections for mRNA analysis. Am J Pathol 154, 61–66.Google Scholar
- 3.Stoebner PE, Le Gallic L, Berthe ML, Boulle N, Lallemant B, Marque M, Gaspard C, Delfour C, Lavabre-Bertrand T, Martinez J, Meunier L. (2008) Decreased expression of thymidine phosphorylase/platelet-derived endothelial cell growth factor in basal cell carcinomas. Exp Dermatol 17, 908-915.Google Scholar
- 4.Kaneko T, Zhang Z, Mantellini MG, Karl E, Zeitlin B, Verhaegen M, Soengas MS, Lingen M, Strieter RM, Nunez G, Nör JE. (2007) Bcl-2 orchestrates a cross-talk between endothelial and tumor cells that promotes tumor growth. Cancer Res 67, 9685–9693.Google Scholar
- 5.Kaneko T, Okiji T, Kaneko R, Suda H, Nör JE. (2009) Gene expression analysis of immunostained endothelial cells isolated from formaldehyde-fixated paraffin embedded tumors using laser capture microdissection--a technical report. Microsc Res Tech 72, 908–912.Google Scholar