DNA Nanotechnology pp 105-113
Preparation and Atomic Force Microscopy of Quadruplex DNA
The purpose of this chapter is to provide detailed instructions for the preparation and atomic force microscopy (AFM) imaging of linear chains of quadruplex DNA (a.k.a. “G-wire DNA”). Successful self-assembly of long chain quadruplex DNA requires pure concentrated guanine-rich oligonucleotide sequence (GROs) and monovalent cations in a growth buffer. AFM imaging of individual G-wire DNA strands requires many carefully monitored steps, including substrate preparation, G-wire concentration, adsorption onto substrate, rinsing, drying, appropriate selection/use of imaging probes, and dry atmosphere imaging conditions. Detailed step-wise instructions are provided.
Key wordsG-wire Quadruplex DNA Guanine-rich oligonucleotide Self-assembly Atomic force microscopy
- 3.Burge, S., Parkinson, G. N., Hazel, P., Todd, A. K., and Neidle, S. (2006) Quadruplex DNA: sequence, topology and structure Nucleic Acids Research, 34:19, 5402–5415.Google Scholar
- 4.Williamson, JR. (1994) G-quartet structures in telomeric DNA Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct. 23, 703–730.Google Scholar
- 8.Borman, S., (2007) Ascent Of Quadruplexes: Nucleic acid structures become promising drug targets Chem. & Eng. News 85, 22, 12–17.Google Scholar
- 10.Vesenka, J., Vellandi, C., Kumar, I., Marsh, T., and Henderson, E., (1998) The diameter of duplex and quadruplex DNA measured by Scanning Probe Microscopy. Scanning Microscopy 12:2, 329–342.Google Scholar
- 12.Dingley, A. J., Peterson, R. D., Grzesiek, S. and Feigon, J. (2005) Characterization of the cation and temperature dependence of DNA quadruplex hydrogen bond properties using high-resolution NMR. J. Amer. Chem. Soc., 127, 14466–14472. Sci. USA, 102, 634–639.Google Scholar
- 14.Marsh, T., and Vesenka, J. (2007) Properties of G-Wire DNA. Nano and Molecular Electronics Handbook, Sergy Lyshevski ed., CRC Press, New York, 13, 1–15.Google Scholar
- 16.Vesenka, J., Bagg, D., Wolff, A., Reichert, A., and Fritzsche, W., (2007) Auto-Orientation of G-wire DNA on Mica. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 58, pp. 256–263.Google Scholar
- 17.E.g. (this is NOT a product endorsement) all supplies from http://www.tedpella.com/.
- 18.Vesenka, J., Manne, S., Yang, G., Bustamante, C., and Henderson, E., (1993) Humidity effects on atomic force microscopy of gold-labeled DNA on mica. Scanning Microscopy, 7, 781–788.Google Scholar
- 19.Perkins, T., King, G., Carter, A. and Churnside, A., (2008) Ultrastable atomic force microscopy: atomic-scale stability and registration in ambient conditions. AFMBiomed Conference, Monterey CA, October 15–18.Google Scholar
- 20.An animated summary can be found at http://physics-animations.com/Physics/English/spri_txt.htm.
- 23.E.g. (this is NOT a product endorsement) http://www.spmtips.com/howto/res/hr
- 24.E.g. (this is NOT a product endorsement) http://www.biosyn.com.