Array-Based Spectral SPR Biosensor: Analysis of Mumps Virus Infection
Spectral SPR biosensor is a useful system for a rapid analysis of protein arrays, as the biosensor with a fiber optic spectrometer can be easily aligned with the reflected light from protein arrays. The spectral SPR biosensor was constructed by Kretschmann geometry, based on the wavelength interrogation with various modules such as protein arrays, optical unit, programs for data acquisition and processing, and a motorized x–y stage for scanning. Protein arrays consist of glass/gold film/linker layer/protein/air. The surface of gold arrays was modified with poly(diallyldimethylammonium chloride) and 11-mercap-toundecanoic acid to immobilize mumps virus. The virus arrays were used to analyze anti-mumps virus in a buffer or human serum by the line-scanning mode of the spectral SPR biosensor. The array-based spectral SPR biosensor has a strong potential for a high-throughput serodiagnosis of infectious diseases.
Key wordsSpectral SPR biosensor Line scanning mode Protein array Mumps virus Serodiagnosis Resonance wavelength PDDA
This work was supported in part by a grant of the Korea Health 21 R&D Project, Ministry of Health, Welfare & Family Affairs, Republic of Korea (A030003).
- 3.Ha, K. -S. and Yuk, J. S. (2006) Wavelength interrogation-based surface plasmon reso nance biosensors, in Encyclopedia of Sensors (Grimes, C. A., Dickey, E. C., and Pishko, M. V., eds), American Scientific, Stevenson Ranch, CA, pp. 433–442Google Scholar
- 9.Jung, J. -W., Jung, S. -H., Kim, H. -S., Yuk, J. S., Park, J. -B., Kim, Y. -M., Han, J. -A., Kim, P. -H., and Ha, K. -S. (2006) High-throughput analysis of GST-fusion protein expression and activity-dependent protein interactions on GST-fusion protein arrays by using a spectral surface plasmon resonance biosensor. Proteomics 6, 1110–1120CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kim, H. -S., Jung, S. -H., Kim, S. -H., Suh, I. B., Kim, W. J., Jung, J. -W., Yuk, J. S., Kim, Y. -M., and Ha, K. -S. (2006) High-throughput analysis of mumps virus and the virus specific monoclonal antibody on the arrays of a cationic polyelectrolyte with a spectral SPR biosensor. Proteomics 6, 6426–6432CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kim, S. H., Kee, S. H., Ahn, J. -E., Song, J. -W., Song, K. -J. (2003) Production and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to mumps virus isolated in Korea. J. Bacteriol. Virol. 33, 203–208Google Scholar
- 12.Yuk, J. S. and Ha, K. -S. (2004) Analysis of immunoreactions on protein arrays by using wavelength interrogation-based surface plasmon resonance sensors. J. Korean Phys. Soc. 45, 1104–1108Google Scholar