The Use of Animal Models for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a description of classical symptoms that can be grouped together to be recognized as a common entity. However, the disease is more heterogeneous and is likely composed of many different, distinct diseases (1). This heterogeneity is of two types. First, the disease can be classified into several subtypes, and second, the underlying cause of each disease group may be attributable to different genetic and environmental factors, each contributing to a distinct disease phenotype. This is an important starting point when discussing animal models for RA. Thus, there is not one model for RA. There are, and must be, several different models with different symptoms and different pathogenic mechanisms, controlled by different genes.
Key WordsAnimal model RA
- 3.Schaible, U. E., Kramer, M. D., Wallich, R., Tran, T., and Simon, M. M. (1991) Experimental Borrelia burgdorferi infection in inbred mouse strains: antibody response and association of H-2 genes with resistance and susceptibility to development of arthritis. Eur. J. Immunol. 21(10), 2397–2405.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Wooley, P. H., Seibold, J. R., Whalen, J. D., and Chapdelaine, J. M. (1989) Pristane-induced arthritis. The immunologic and genetic features of an experimental murine model of autoimmune disease. Arthritis Rheum. 32, 1022–1030.Google Scholar
- 7.Vingsbo, C., Sahlstrand, P., Brun, J. G., Jonsson, R., Saxne, T., and Holmdahl, R. (1996) Pristane-induced arthritis in rats: a new model for rheumatoid arthritis with a chronic disease course influenced by both major histocompatibility complex and non-major histocompatibility complex genes. Am. J. Pathol. 149, 1675–1683.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Cremer, M. A., Ye, X. J., Terato, K., Owens, S. W., Seyer, J. M., and Kang, A. H. (1994) Type XI collagen induced arthritis in the Lewis rat. Characterization of cellular and humoral immune responses to native types XI, V, and II collagen and constituent alpha-chains. J. Immunol. 153(2), 824–832.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Lu, S., Carlsen, S., Hansson, A-S, and Holmdahl, R. (2002) Immunization of Rats with Homologous Type XI Collagen Leads to Chronic and Relapsing Arthritis with Different Genetics and Joint Pathology Than Arthritis Induced with Homologous Type II Collagen. J. Autoimmun. 18(3), 199–211.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar