Antibody-Driven Proximity Labeling in Fixed Tissues
Protein function often depends on assemblies and interactions. These show complex spatial and temporal organization within the cell. Analysis of protein function can be greatly assisted by grouping proteins with their neighbors. Rather than relying on affinity, proximity labeling targets proteins proximal to the target of interest. We describe a protocol for antibody-guided deposition of tags in fixed and permeabilized cell lines and primary human tissue samples.
Key wordsProximity labeling Antibody Biotin HRP Mass-spectrometry Protein-protein interactions
We thank L. Bonnycastle and A. Thatavarty for useful suggestions and comments. This work was supported by intramural NIH funding, project ZIA HG200305-15.
- 4.Li XW, Rees JS, Xue P, Zhang H, Hamaia SW, Sanderson B, Funk PE, Farndale RW, Lilley KS, Perrett S, Jackson AP (2014) New insights into the DT40 B cell receptor cluster using a proteomic proximity labeling assay. J Biol Chem 289(21):14434–14447. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M113.529578CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Chen Y, Zhang Y, Wang Y, Zhang L, Brinkman EK, Adam SA, Goldman R, van Steensel B, Ma J, Belmont AS (2018) Mapping 3D genome organization relative to nuclear compartments using TSA-Seq as a cytological ruler. J Cell Biol 217(11):4025–4048. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.201807108CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Myers SA, Wright J, Peckner R, Kalish BT, Zhang F, Carr SA (2018) Discovery of proteins associated with a predefined genomic locus via dCas9-APEX-mediated proximity labeling. Nat Methods. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41592-018-0007-1
- 7.Kaewsapsak P, Shechner DM, Mallard W, Rinn JL, Ting AY (2017) Live-cell mapping of organelle-associated RNAs via proximity biotinylation combined with protein-RNA crosslinking. eLife 6. https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.29224
- 18.Gage GJ, Kipke DR, Shain W (2012) Whole animal perfusion fixation for rodents. J Vis Exp (65). https://doi.org/10.3791/3564