Lentiviral Transduction of Rat Schwann Cells and Dorsal Root Ganglia Neurons for In Vitro Myelination Studies
Lentiviral transduction is a gene delivery method that provides numerous advantages over direct transfection and traditional retroviral or adenoviral delivery methods. It facilitates for the transduction of primary cells inherently difficult to transfect, delivers constructs of interest to nondividing as well as dividing cells, and permits the long-term expression of sizable DNA inserts (e.g., <7 kb). The study of peripheral nerve myelination at the molecular level has long benefited from the Schwann cells/dorsal root ganglia (DRG) neurons myelinating co-culture system. As this culture system takes about a month to develop and perform experiments with, lentiviral-delivered constructs can be used to manipulate gene expression in Schwann cells and DRG neurons, primary cells that are otherwise resilient to direct transfection. Here we present our protocol for lentiviral production and purification and subsequent infection of large numbers of Schwann cells and/or DRG neurons for the molecular study of peripheral nerve myelination in vitro.
Key wordsLentivirus Schwann cell Dorsal root ganglia neuron
- 8.Nie Z, Phenix BN, Lum JJ, Alam A, Lynch DH, Beckett B, Krammer PH, Sekaly RP, Badley AD (2002) HIV-1 protease processes procaspase 8 to cause mitochondrial release of cytochrome c, caspase cleavage and nuclear fragmentation. Cell Death Differ 9(11):1172–1184. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.cdd.4401094 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hoffmann M, Wu YJ, Gerber M, Berger-Rentsch M, Heimrich B, Schwemmle M, Zimmer G (2010) Fusion-active glycoprotein G mediates the cytotoxicity of vesicular stomatitis virus M mutants lacking host shut-off activity. J Gen Virol 91(Pt 11):2782–2793. https://doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.023978-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.al Yacoub N, Romanowska M, Haritonova N, Foerster J (2007) Optimized production and concentration of lentiviral vectors containing large inserts. J Gene Med 9(7):579–584. https://doi.org/10.1002/jgm.1052
- 13.Chen Y, Ott CJ, Townsend K, Subbaiah P, Aiyar A, Miller WM (2009) Cholesterol supplementation during production increases the infectivity of retroviral and lentiviral vectors pseudotyped with the vesicular stomatitis virus glycoprotein (VSV-G). Biochem Eng J 44(2–3):199–207. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bej.2008.12.004 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Rubinson DA, Dillon CP, Kwiatkowski AV, Sievers C, Yang L, Kopinja J, Rooney DL, Zhang M, Ihrig MM, McManus MT, Gertler FB, Scott ML, Van Parijs L (2003) A lentivirus-based system to functionally silence genes in primary mammalian cells, stem cells and transgenic mice by RNA interference. Nat Genet 33(3):401–406. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1117.ng1117[pii]CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar