Lipid Mediator Metabolomics Via LC-MS/MS Profiling and Analysis
- 3.2k Downloads
Solid-phase extraction coupled with liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry provides a robust and sensitive approach for the identification and quantitation of specialized pro-resolving mediators (lipoxins, resolvins, protectins, and maresins), their pathway markers and the classic eicosanoids. Here, we provide a detailed description of the methodologies employed for the extraction of these mediators from biological systems, setup of the instrumentation, sample processing, and then the procedures followed for their identification and quantitation.
Key wordsLipid mediator metabololipidomics Flux analysis Eicosanoids Resolvin Protectin Maresin Profiling Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry
This work was supported by funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program (Grant number: 677542), a Sir Henry Dale Fellowship jointly funded by the Wellcome Trust and the Royal Society (Grant number: 107613/Z/15/Z), and the Barts Charity (Grant number: MGU0343). CN Serhan is supported by the National Institutes of Health, USA Grant Number P01GM095467.
- 8.Dalli J, Colas RA, Quintana C, Barragan-Bradford D, Hurwitz S, Levy BD, Choi AM, Serhan CN, Baron RM (2017) Human sepsis eicosanoid and proresolving lipid mediator temporal profiles: correlations with survival and clinical outcomes. Crit Care Med 45(1):58–68. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0000000000002014CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dalli J, Kraft BD, Colas RA, Shinohara M, Fredenburgh LE, Hess DR, Chiang N, Welty-Wolf K, Choi AM, Piantadosi CA, Serhan CN (2015) The regulation of proresolving lipid mediator profiles in baboon pneumonia by inhaled carbon monoxide. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 53(3):314–325. https://doi.org/10.1165/rcmb.2014-0299OCCrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Weiss GA, Troxler H, Klinke G, Rogler D, Braegger C, Hersberger M (2013) High levels of anti-inflammatory and pro-resolving lipid mediators lipoxins and resolvins and declining docosahexaenoic acid levels in human milk during the first month of lactation. Lipids Health Dis 12:89. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-511X-12-89CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 14.Rathod KS, Kapil V, Velmurugan S, Khambata RS, Siddique U, Khan S, Van Eijl S, Gee LC, Bansal J, Pitrola K, Shaw C, D’Acquisto F, Colas RA, Marelli-Berg F, Dalli J, Ahluwalia A (2017) Accelerated resolution of inflammation underlies sex differences in inflammatory responses in humans. J Clin Invest 127(1):169–182. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI89429CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Titos E, Rius B, Lopez-Vicario C, Alcaraz-Quiles J, Garcia-Alonso V, Lopategi A, Dalli J, Lozano JJ, Arroyo V, Delgado S, Serhan CN, Claria J (2016) Signaling and immunoresolving actions of resolvin D1 in inflamed human visceral adipose tissue. J Immunol 197(8):3360–3370. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1502522CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar