GC-MS Analysis of Lipid Oxidation Products in Blood, Urine, and Tissue Samples
Oxidant stress has been identified as important in the pathology of many diseases. Oxidation products of polyunsaturated fatty acids collectively termed isoprostanes, neuroprostanes, and isofurans are considered the most reliable measures of in vivo lipid oxidation, and they are widely used to assess oxidant stress in various diseases. Here we describe the measurement of these lipid oxidation products using gas chromatography mass spectrometry with electron capture negative ionization.
Key wordsLipid oxidation F2-isoprostanes Neuroprostanes Isofurans Gas chromatography mass spectrometry
This work was in part funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia, the National Heart Foundation of Australia, and the Royal Perth Hospital Medical Research Foundation.
- 2.Galano JM, Mas E, Barden A, Mori TA, Signorini C, De Felice C, Barrett A, Opere C, Pinot E, Schwedhelm E, Benndorf R, Roy J, Le Guennec JY, Oger C, Durand T (2013) Isoprostanes and neuroprostanes: total synthesis, biological activity and biomarkers of oxidative stress in humans. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 107:95–102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prostaglandins.2013.04.003CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Morrow JD, Hill KE, Burk RF, Nammour TM, Badr KF, Roberts LJ (1990) A Series of prostaglandin-F2-like compounds are produced in vivo in humans by a noncyclooxygenase, free radical-catalyzed mechanism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 87(23):9383–9387. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.87.23.9383CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kadiiska MB, Gladen BC, Baird DD, Germolec D, Graham LB, Parker CE, Nyska A, Wachsman JT, Ames BN, Basu S, Brot N, FitzGerald GA, Floyd RA, George M, Heinecke JW, Hatch GE, Hensley K, Lawson JA, Marnett LJ, Morrow JD, Murray DM, Plastaras J, Roberts LJ, Rokach J, Shigenaga MK, Sohal RS, Sun J, Tice RR, Van Thiel DH, Wellner D, Walter PB, Tomer KB, Mason RP, Barrett JC (2005) Biomarkers of oxidative stress study II. Are oxidation products of lipids, proteins, and DNA markers of CCl4 poisoning? Free Radic Biol Med 38(6):698–710. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2004.09.017CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Galano JM, Lee YY, Durand T, Lee JCY (2015) Special issue on “analytical methods for oxidized biomolecules and antioxidants” the use of isoprostanoids as biomarkers of oxidative damage, and their role in human dietary intervention studies. Free Radic Res 49(5):583–598. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715762.2015.1007969CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fessel JP, Porter NA, Moore KP, Sheller JR, Roberts LJ 2nd (2002) Discovery of lipid peroxidation products formed in vivo with a substituted tetrahydrofuran ring (isofurans) that are favored by increased oxygen tension. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99(26):16713–16718. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.252649099CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 12.Proudfoot J, Barden A, Mori TA, Burke V, Croft KD, Beilin LJ, Puddey IB (1999) Measurement of urinary F(2)-isoprostanes as markers of in vivo lipid peroxidation-a comparison of enzyme immunoassay with gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Anal Biochem 272(2):209–215. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1999.4187S0003-2697(99)94187-8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar