Construction of a scFv Library with Synthetic, Non-combinatorial CDR Diversity
Many large synthetic antibody libraries have been designed, constructed, and successfully generated high-quality antibodies suitable for various demanding applications. While synthetic antibody libraries have many advantages such as optimized framework sequences and a broader sequence landscape than natural antibodies, their sequence diversities typically are generated by random combinatorial synthetic processes which cause the incorporation of many undesired CDR sequences. Here, we describe the construction of a synthetic scFv library using oligonucleotide mixtures that contain predefined, non-combinatorially synthesized CDR sequences. Each CDR is first inserted to a master scFv framework sequence and the resulting single-CDR libraries are subjected to a round of proofread panning. The proofread CDR sequences are assembled to produce the final scFv library with six diversified CDRs.
Key wordsAntibody library scFv Phage display Non-combinatorial CDR diversity Synthetic CDR diversity Synthetic antibody library
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant for Medical Bioconvergence Research Center (NRF-2013M3A6A4044991) and the Bio & Medical Technology Development Program of the NRF funded by the Korean government, MSIP (NRF-2015M3A9B6029138) to H.S.
- 2.Prassler J, Thiel S, Pracht C, Polzer A, Peters S, Bauer M, Norenberg S, Stark Y, Kolln J, Popp A, Urlinger S, Enzelberger M (2011) HuCAL PLATINUM, a synthetic Fab library optimized for sequence diversity and superior performance in mammalian expression systems. J Mol Biol 413:261–278CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Tiller T, Schuster I, Deppe D, Siegers K, Strohner R, Herrmann T, Berenguer M, Poujol D, Stehle J, Stark Y, Hessling M, Daubert D, Felderer K, Kaden S, Kolln J et al (2013) A fully synthetic human Fab antibody library based on fixed VH/VL framework pairings with favorable biophysical properties. MAbs 5:445–470CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.Knappik A, Ge L, Honegger A, Pack P, Fischer M, Wellnhofer G, Hoess A, Wolle J, Pluckthun A, Virnekas B (2000) Fully synthetic human combinatorial antibody libraries (HuCAL) based on modular consensus frameworks and CDRs randomized with trinucleotides. J Mol Biol 296:57–86CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Rothe C, Urlinger S, Lohning C, Prassler J, Stark Y, Jager U, Hubner B, Bardroff M, Pradel I, Boss M, Bittlingmaier R, Bataa T, Frisch C, Brocks B, Honegger A et al (2008) The human combinatorial antibody library HuCAL GOLD combines diversification of all six CDRs according to the natural immune system with a novel display method for efficient selection of high-affinity antibodies. J Mol Biol 376:1182–1200CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Sambrook J, Russell DW (2001) In molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, p. 1.112Google Scholar