Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry for Analysis of RNA Adenosine Methylation
Dynamic RNA modifications recently were considered to constitute another realm for biological regulation in the form of “RNA epigenetics”. N6-methyladenosine (m6A), one of the most important modifications on RNA, plays a fundamental role in epigenetic regulation of the mammalian transcriptome. We recently established various liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry (LC-ESI-MS/MS)-based methods for the sensitive and accurate determination of modified nucleosides in both DNA and RNA. Here, we describe a protocol to analyze m6A in RNA by LC-ESI-MS/MS. And this protocol also can be extended to the analysis of other modified nucleosides in both DNA and RNA.
Key wordsRNA Methylation, N6-Methyladenosine; Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry
The author thanks the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (21522507, 21672166).
- 10.Schwartz S, Agarwala SD, Mumbach MR, Jovanovic M, Mertins P, Shishkin A, Tabach Y, Mikkelsen TS, Satija R, Ruvkun G, Carr SA, Lander ES, Fink GR, Regev A (2013) High-resolution mapping reveals a conserved, widespread, dynamic mRNA methylation program in yeast meiosis. Cell 155:1409–1421CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Zheng G, Dahl JA, Niu Y, Fedorcsak P, Huang CM, Li CJ, Vagbo CB, Shi Y, Wang WL, Song SH, Lu Z, Bosmans RP, Dai Q, Hao YJ, Yang X, Zhao WM, Tong WM, Wang XJ, Bogdan F, Furu K, Fu Y, Jia G, Zhao X, Liu J, Krokan HE, Klungland A, Yang YG, He C (2013) ALKBH5 is a mammalian RNA demethylase that impacts RNA metabolism and mouse fertility. Mol Cell 49:18–29CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Huang W, Qi CB, Lv SW, Xie M, Feng YQ, Huang WH, Yuan BF (2016) Determination of DNA and RNA methylation in circulating tumor cells by mass spectrometry. Anal Chem. 88:1378–1384.Google Scholar
- 28.Chen ML, Shen F, Huang W, Qi JH, Wang Y, Feng YQ, Liu SM, Yuan BF (2013) Quantification of 5-methylcytosine and 5-hydroxymethylcytosine in genomic DNA from hepatocellular carcinoma tissues by capillary hydrophilic-interaction liquid chromatography/quadrupole TOF mass spectrometry. Clin Chem 59:824–832CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 29.Chen ML, Liu YL, Xing XW, Zhou X, Feng YQ, Yuan BF (2013) Preparation of a hyper-cross-linked polymer monolithic column and its application to the sensitive determination of genomic DNA methylation. ChemEur J 19:1035–1041Google Scholar