Multiplexed Phenotyping of Small Extracellular Vesicles Using Protein Microarray (EV Array)
- 3.9k Downloads
The Extracellular Vesicle (EV) Array is based on the technology of protein microarray and provides the opportunity to detect and phenotype small EVs from unpurified starting material in a high-throughput manner (Jørgensen et al., J Extracell vesicles 2:1–9, 2013). The technology was established to perform multiplexed phenotyping of EVs in an open platform. This protocol outlines the microarray printing procedure followed by the steps of capture and detection of small extracellular vesicles from plasma/serum or cell culture supernatants. The principles of data treatment and analysis are thoroughly described as well.
Key wordsProtein microarray Extracellular vesicles Exosomes Capture antibodies Surface antigens Multiplexed phenotyping
Dextran coupled with Alexa Fluor 488
small Extracellular vesicle
The authors would like to thank M.D. Kim Varming and Dr. Evo K.L. Søndergaard for helping establish this protocol.
- 1.Revenfeld ALS, Bæk R, Nielsen MH et al (2014) Diagnostic and prognostic potential of extracellular vesicles in peripheral blood. Clin Ther 36:830–846. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2014.05.008
- 2.Jørgensen M, Bæk R, Pedersen S et al (2013) Extracellular vesicle (EV) Array: microarray capturing of exosomes and other extracellular vesicles for multiplexed phenotyping. J Extracell Vesicles 2:1–9. doi: 10.3402/jev.v2i0.20920
- 5.Jørgensen M, Bæk R, Varming K (2015) Potentials and capabilities of the extracellular vesicle (EV) Array. J Extracell Vesicles 4:1–8Google Scholar
- 10.Sandfeld-Paulsen B, Jakobsen KR, Bæk R, Folkersen BH et al (2016) Exosomal Proteins as Diagnostic Biomarkers in Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol 11(10):1701–1710Google Scholar
- 11.Bæk R, Søndergaard EKL, Varming K, Jørgensen MM (2016) The impact of various preanalytical treatments on the phenotype of small extracellular vesicles in blood analyzed by protein microarray. J Imm Meth 438:11–20Google Scholar
- 12.Jørgensen MM, Bæk R, Tveito S et al (2016) Phenotyping of Small Extracellular Vesicles from Clinically Important Body Fluids using Protein Microarray. Book Chapter in “Exosomes: Biogenesis, Therapeutic Applications and Emerging Research”, edited by Arlando Meyers, Nova PublishersGoogle Scholar