Photon Counting System for High-Sensitivity Detection of Bioluminescence at Optical Fiber End
The technique of photon counting is widely used for various fields and also applicable to a high-sensitivity detection of luminescence. Thanks to recent development of single photon detectors with avalanche photodiodes (APDs), the photon counting system with an optical fiber has become powerful for a detection of bioluminescence at an optical fiber end, because it allows us to fully use the merits of compactness, simple operation, highly quantum efficiency of the APD detectors. This optical fiber-based system also has a possibility of improving the sensitivity to a local detection of Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) by high-sensitivity detection of the bioluminescence. In this chapter, we are introducing a basic concept of the optical fiber-based system and explaining how to construct and use this system.
Key wordsPhoton counting Optical fiber Single photon detector Avalanche photodiode (APD) High sensitivity Adenosine triphosphate Luciferase Bioluminescence
This work has been partially supported by the International Project Center for Integration Research on Quantum, Information, and Life Sciences of Hiroshima University and the Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C) (19560046) of Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science, JSPS.
- 1.Arnold MA (1991) Fluorophore- and chromophore-based fiberoptic biosensors. In: Blum LJ, Coulet PR (eds) Biosensor principles and applications. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 195–211Google Scholar
- 2.Blum LJ, Gautier SM (1991) Bioluminescence- and chemiluminescence-based fiberoptic sensors. In: Blum LJ, Coulet PR (eds) Biosensor principles and applications. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 213–247Google Scholar
- 3.Perkin Elmer Inc. (2012) Datasheet of SPCM-AQR-14. At present, Excelitas Technologies Corp provides the same APD detector. http://www.excelitas.com/Pages/Index.aspx
- 6.Iinuma M, Ushio Y, Kuroda A, Kadoya Y (2012) High-sensitivity detection of bioluminescence at an optical fiber end for an ATP Sensor. In: Yasin M, Harum SW, Arof H (eds) Fiber optic sensor. InTech, Rijeka, pp 459–474Google Scholar
- 7.Iinuma M, Tanaka R, Takahama E, Ikeda T, Kadoya Y, Kuroda A (2013) Investigation of bioluminescence at an optical fiber end for a high-sensitive ATP detection system. In: Harum SW, Arof H (eds) Current developments in optical fiber technology. InTech, Rijeka, pp 293–317Google Scholar