Logical Modelling of Gene Regulatory Networks with GINsim
Discrete mathematical formalisms are well adapted to model large biological networks, for which detailed kinetic data are scarce. This chapter introduces the reader to a well-established qualitative (logical) framework for the modelling of regulatory networks. Relying on GINsim, a software implementing this logical formalism, we guide the reader step by step towards the definition and the analysis of a simple model of the lysis–lysogeny decision in the bacteriophage λ.
Key wordsNetworks Logical modelling Qualitative analysis Graph Regulatory circuit Dynamical simulation
A.N. has been supported by a PhD grant from the French Ministry of Research and Technology. This project was further supported by research grants from the EU FP6 (DIAMONDS STREP) and FP7 (APOSYS large scale project) programs, and by the Belgian Science Policy Office (IAP BioMaGNet).
- 1.Thieffry D, Thomas R. (1995) Dynamical behaviour of biological regulatory networks, II. Immunity control in bacteriophage lambda. Bull Math Biol, 57(2):277–297.Google Scholar
- 2.Filopon D, Mérieau A, Bernot G, Comet JP, LeBerre R, Guery B, Polack B, Guespin-Michel J. (2006) Epigenetic acquisition of inducibility of type III cytotoxicity in aeruginosa. BMC Bioinformatics 2006, 7:272.Google Scholar
- 3.Simão E, Remy E, Thieffry D, Chaouiya C. (2005) Qualitative modelling of regulated metabolic pathways: application to the tryptophan biosynthesis in E. coli. Bioinformatics, 21(Suppl 2):190–196.Google Scholar
- 10.Ptashne M. (2004) A Genetic Switch: Phage Lambda Revisited. 3rd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor.Google Scholar
- 13.Matsuno H, Doi A, Nagasaki M, Miyano S. (2000) Hybrid Petri net representation of gene regulatory network. In Pac Symp Biocomput 2000:341–352.Google Scholar
- 14.Naldi A, Berenguier D, Fauré A, Lopez F, Thieffry D, Chaouiya C. (2009) Logical modelling of regulatory networks with GINsim 2.3. Biosystems, 97(2):134–139.Google Scholar