Gene Selection with the δ-Sequence Method
In this chapter, we discuss a method of selecting differentially expressed genes based on a newly discovered structure termed as the δ-sequence. Together with the nonparametric empirical Bayes methodology, it leads to dramatic gains in terms of the mean numbers of true and false discoveries, and in the stability of the results of testing. Furthermore, its outcomes are entirely free from the log-additive array-specific technical noise. The new paradigm offers considerable scope for future developments in this area of methodological research.
Key wordsMicroarray data Correlation Differential expression Gene pairs
This research is supported by NIH Grant GM079259 (X. Qiu) and by Theodosius Dobzhansky Center for Genome Bioinformatics (L. Klebanov).
- 12.Qiu X, Klebanov L, Yakovlev A (2005) Correlation between gene expression levels and limitations of the empirical Bayes methodology for finding differentially expressed genes. Stat Appl Genet Mol Biol 4:34Google Scholar
- 17.Klebanov L, Jordan C, Yakovlev A (2006) A new type of stochastic dependence revealed in gene expression data. Stat Appl Genet Mol Biol 5 (Article7)Google Scholar
- 19.Klebanov L, Yakovlev A (2006) Treating expression levels of different genes as a sample in microarray data analysis: is it worth a risk? Stat Appl Genet Mol Biol 5, Article 9Google Scholar
- 21.Benjamini Y, Hochberg Y (2000) On the adaptive control of the false discovery rate in multiple testing with independent statistics. J Educ Behav Stat 25(1):60Google Scholar
- 22.Yeoh E-J, Ross ME, Shurtleff SA, Williams WK, Patel D, Mahfouz R, Behm FG, Raimondi SC, Relling MV, Patel A, Cheng C, Campana D, Wilkins D, Zhou X, Li J, Liu H, Pui C-H, Evans WE, Naeve C, Wong L, Downing JR (2002) Classification, subtype discovery, and prediction of outcome in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia by gene expression profiling. Cancer Cell 1(2):133–143PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Westfall PH, Young S (1993) Resampling-based multiple testing. Wiley, New York, NYGoogle Scholar