Isolation of Human Adipose-derived Stem Cells from Biopsies and Liposuction Specimens
Adipose tissue has proven to serve as an abundant, accessible, and rich source of adult stem cells with multipotent properties suitable for tissue engineering and regenerative medical applications. Here, we describe a detailed method for the isolation and expansion of adipose-derived stem cells (ASCs). We present a large scale procedure suitable for processing >100 mL volumes of lipoaspirate tissue specimens and a small scale procedure suitable for processing adipose tissue biopsy specimens of < 0.5 g. Although we have focused on the isolation of ASCs from human adipose tissue, the procedure can be applied to adipose tissues from other species with minimal modifications.
KeywordsAdipose-derived stem cells (ASCs) biopsy expansion human isolation lipoaspirate mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) stromal vascular fraction (SVF)
- 3.3. Hauner, H., Entenmann, G., Wabitsch, M., Gaillard, D., Ailhaud, G., Negrel, R., and Pfeiffer, E.F. (1989) Promoting effect of glucocorticoids on the differentiation of human adipocyte precursor cells cultured in a chemically defined medium. J. Clin. Invest. 84:1663–1670.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.4. Halvorsen, Y. D., Bond, A., Sen, A., Franklin, D. M., Lea-Currie, Y. R., Sujkowski, D., Ellis, P. N., Wilkison, W. O., and Gimble, J. M. (2001) Thiazolidinediones and glucocorticoids synergistically induce differentiation of human adipose tissue stromal cells: biochemical, cellular, and molecular analysis. Metabolism. 50:407–413.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.8. Mitchell, J. B., McIntosh, K, Zvonic, S., Garrett, S., Floyd, Z. E., Kloster, A., Halvorsen, Y. D., Storms, R. W., Goh, B., Kilroy, G., Wu, X., and Gimble, J. M. (2006) The immunophenotype of human adipose derived cells: Temporal changes in stromal- and stem cell-associated markers. Stem Cells, 24:376–385.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.9. Diascro, D. D., Vogel, R. L., Johnson, T. E., Witherup, K. M., Pitzenberger, S. M., Rutledge, S. J., Prescott, D. J., Rodan, G. A., Schmidt, A. (1998) High fatty acid content in rabbit serum is responsible for the differentiation of osteoblasts into adipocyte-like cells, J Bone Miner Res, 13:96–106.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.10.Dubois, S. G., Halvorsen, Y. D. C., Ravussin, E., and Gimble, J. M. (2005) Primary stromal cell culture from adipose tissue: from liposuction to needle biopsy. Adipocytes 1:139–144.Google Scholar