Seeding Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Neurons onto 384-Well Plates
Induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) derived neurons are an excellent in vitro model of neurological diseases that are often used in early stage drug discovery projects. Thus far, the use of iPSC-derived cells in small molecule drug screening has been limited, and one of the reasons for this has been the challenge of miniaturization of iPSC culture and differentiation in low volume microwell plate formats. Here we describe a method of seeding iPSC-derived neurons into 384-well plates towards the end of the differentiation procedure. This method covers coating the plates with substrates to aid attachment, dissociation of the cells into a single cell suspension, and seeding onto 384-well plates to give an even distribution of neurons. This method facilitates the use of iPSC-derived neurons for high-content imaging, whole-well assays, and small-molecule drug screening.
Key wordsInduced pluripotent stem cells Neuronal cells 384-well plates Microplates Cell culture Drug discovery
- 1.Burkhardt MF, Martinez FJ, Wright S, Ramos C, Volfson D, Mason M, Garnes J, Dang V, Lievers J, Shoukat-Mumtaz U, Martinez R, Gai H, Blake R, Vaisberg E, Grskovic M, Johnson C, Irion S, Bright J, Cooper B, Nguyen L, Griswold-Prenner I, Javaherian A (2013) A cellular model for sporadic ALS using patient-derived induced pluripotent stem cells. Mol Cell Neurosci 56:355–364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mcn.2013.07.007CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Ryan KR, Sirenko O, Parham F, Hsieh JH, Cromwell EF, Tice RR, Behl M (2016) Neurite outgrowth in human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived neurons as a high-throughput screen for developmental neurotoxicity or neurotoxicity. Neurotoxicology 53:271–281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuro.2016.02.003CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Xu X, Lei Y, Luo J, Wang J, Zhang S, Yang X, Sun M, Nuwaysir E, Fan G, Zhao J, Lei L, Zhong Z (2013) Prevention of β-amyloid induced toxicity in human iPS cell-derived neurons by inhibition of Cyclin-dependent kinases and associated cell cycle events. Stem Cell Res 10:213–227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scr.2012.11.005CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Little D, Luft C, Mosaku O, Lorvelle M, Yao Z, Paillusson S, Kriston-Vizi J, Gandhi S, Abramov AY, Ketteler R, Devine MJ, Gissen P (2018) A single cell high content assay detects mitochondrial dysfunction in iPSC-derived neurons with mutations in SNCA. Sci Rep. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-27058-0 SREP-18-02363
- 6.Kriks S, Shim J, Piao J, Ganat Y, Wakeman D, Xie Z, Carrillo-Reid L, Auyeung G, Antonacci C, Buch A, Yang L, Beal MF, Surmeier DJ, Kordower J, Tabar V, Studer L (2011) Dopamine neurons derived from human ES cells efficiently engraft in animal models of Parkinson's disease. Nature 480(7378):547–551. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature10648CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar