Investigating RNA–Protein Interactions in Neisseria meningitidis by RIP-Seq Analysis
Deep sequencing technology has revolutionized transcriptome analyses of both prokaryotes and eukaryotes. RNA-sequencing (RNA-seq), which is based on massively parallel sequencing of cDNAs, has been used to annotate transcript boundaries and has revealed widespread antisense transcription as well as a wealth of novel noncoding transcripts in many bacterial pathogens. Moreover, RNA-seq is nowadays also widely used to comprehensively explore the interaction between RNA-binding proteins and their RNA targets on a genome-wide level in many human-pathogenic bacteria. In particular, immunoprecipitation of an RNA-binding protein (RBP) of interest followed by isolation and analysis of all bound RNAs (RNA immunoprecipitation (RIP)) allows rapid characterization of its RNA regulon. Here, we describe an experimental approach which employs co-immunoprecipitation (coIP) of the RNA-binding chaperone Hfq along with bound RNAs followed by deep-sequencing of co-purified RNAs (RIP-Seq) from a genetically modified strain of Neisseria meningitidis expressing a chromosomally encoded Hfq-3×FLAG protein. This approach allowed us to comprehensively identify both mRNAs and sRNAs as targets of Hfq and served as an excellent starting point for sRNA research in this human pathogenic bacterium.
Key wordsRIP-seq N. meningitidis Deep sequencing cDNA library Small RNA identification Hfq-3×FLAG
The work in the Vogel lab was funded by DFG Grant Vo875/7-2.
- 9.Dugar G, Svensson SL, Bischler T, Wäldchen S, Reinhardt R, Sauer M, Sharma CM (2016) The CsrA-FliW network controls polar localization of the dual-function flagellin mRNA in Campylobacter jejuni. Nat Commun 7:11667.Google Scholar
- 10.Dugar G, Leenay RT, Eisenbart SK, Bischler T, Aul BU, Beisel CL, Sharma CM (2018) CRISPR RNA-dependent binding and cleavage of endogenous RNAs by the Campylobacter jejuni Cas9. Mol Cell 69:802–819.e1.Google Scholar
- 12.Heidrich N, Hagmann A, Bauriedl S, Vogel J, Schoen C (2018) The CRISPR/Cas system in Neisseria meningitidis affects bacterial adhesion to human nasopharyngeal epithelial cells. RNA Biol 30:1–7.Google Scholar
- 14.Fantappiè L, Metruccio MME, Seib KL, Oriente F, Cartocci E, Ferlicca F, Giuliani MM, Scarlato V, Delany I (2009) The RNA chaperone Hfq is involved in stress response and virulence in Neisseria meningitidis and is a pleiotropic regulator of protein expression. Infect Immun 77:1842–1853.Google Scholar
- 15.Pannekoek Y, Huis in’t Veld R, Hopman CTP, Langerak AAJ, Speijer D, van der Ende A (2009) Molecular characterization and identification of proteins regulated by Hfq in Neisseria meningitidis. FEMS Microbiol Lett 294:216–224.Google Scholar
- 17.Heidrich N, Bauriedl S, Barquist L, Li L, Schoen C, Vogel J (2017) The primary transcriptome of Neisseria meningitidis and its interaction with the RNA chaperone Hfq. Nucleic Acids Res 45:1–21.Google Scholar
- 23.Ray D, Kazan H, Cook KB, Weirauch MT, Najafabadi HS, Li X, Gueroussov S, Albu M, Zheng H, Yang A, Na H, Irimia M, Matzat LH, Dale RK, Smith SA, Yarosh CA, Kelly SM, Nabet B, Mecenas D, Li W, Laishram RS, Qiao M, Lipshitz HD, Piano F, Corbett AH, Carstens RP, Frey BJ, Anderson RA, Lynch KW, Penalva LOF, Lei EP, Fraser AG, Blencowe BJ, Morris QD, Hughes TR (2013) A compendium of RNA-binding motifs for decoding gene regulation. Nature 499:172–177.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Urban JH, Vogel J (2007) Translational control and target recognition by Escherichia coli small RNAs in vivo. Nucleic Acids Res 35:1018–1037.Google Scholar
- 30.T’Hoen PAC, Friedländer MR, Almlöf J, Sammeth M, Pulyakhina I, Anvar SY, Laros JFJ, Buermans HPJ, Karlberg O, Brännvall M, Den Dunnen JT, Van Ommen GJB, Gut IG, Guigó R, Estivill X, Syvänen AC, Dermitzakis ET, Lappalainen T (2013) Reproducibility of high-throughput mRNA and small RNA sequencing across laboratories. Nat Biotechnol 31:1015–1022.CrossRefGoogle Scholar