Hepatitis C Virus Database and Bioinformatics Analysis Tools in the Virus Pathogen Resource (ViPR)
The Virus Pathogen Resource (ViPR; www.viprbrc.org) is a US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)-sponsored Bioinformatics Resource Center providing bioinformatics support for major human viral pathogens. The hepatitis C virus (HCV) portal of ViPR facilitates basic research and development of diagnostics and therapeutics for HCV, by providing a comprehensive collection of HCV-related data integrated from various sources, a growing suite of analysis and visualization tools for data mining and hypothesis generation, and personal Workbench spaces for data storage and sharing. This chapter introduces the data and functionality provided by the ViPR HCV portal. It describes example workflows for (1) searching HCV genome and protein sequences, (2) conducting phylogenetic analysis, and (3) analyzing sequence variations using pattern search for amino acid substitutions in proteins, single nucleotide variation calculation, metadata-driven comparison, and sequence feature variant type analysis. All data and tools are freely available via the ViPR HCV portal at https://www.viprbrc.org/brc/home.spg?decorator=flavi_hcv.
Key wordsVirus Pathogen Resource ViPR Database Annotation Genotype Mature peptides Comparative genomics Phylogenetics Antiviral Drug resistance
This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health/National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases [HHSN272201400028C].
- 1.WHO (2017) Hepatitis C. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs164/en/. Accessed 11 June 2017
- 3.ICTV Flaviviridae Study Group (2017) Updated alignment (FASTA) of HCV genotypes and subtypes 1.6.17.FST. https://talk.ictvonline.org/ictv_wikis/flaviviridae/w/sg_flavi/57/hcv-reference-sequence-alignments. Accessed 11 June 2017
- 5.ViPR (2017) Protocol for HCV typing. https://www.viprbrc.org/brcDocs/documents/SOP_HCV_typing.pdf
- 6.ViPR (2017) Protocol for virus mature peptide prediction. https://www.viprbrc.org/brcDocs/documents/VIPR_MAT_PEPTIDE_SOP.pdf. Accessed 11 June 2017
- 8.ViPR (2017) Protocol for meta-CATS analysis tool. https://www.viprbrc.org/brcDocs/documents/MGC_Protocol.pdf. Accessed 11 June 2017
- 13.AASLD-IDSA (2017) Monitoring patients who are starting Hepatitis C treatment, are on treatment, or have completed therapy. Recommendations for testing, managing, and treating hepatitis C. http://www.hcvguidelines.org/print/92. Accessed 11 June 2017