Practical Analysis of Hi-C Data: Generating A/B Compartment Profiles
Recent advances in next-generation sequencing (NGS) and chromosome conformation capture (3C) analysis have led to the development of Hi-C, a genome-wide version of the 3C method. Hi-C has identified new levels of chromosome organization such as A/B compartments, topologically associating domains (TADs) as well as large megadomains on the inactive X chromosome, while allowing the identification of chromatin loops at the genome scale. Despite its powerfulness, Hi-C data analysis is much more involved compared to conventional NGS applications such as RNA-seq or ChIP-seq and requires many more steps. This presents a significant hurdle for those who wish to implement Hi-C technology into their laboratory. On the other hand, genomics data repository sites sometimes contain processed Hi-C data sets, allowing researchers to perform further analysis without the need for high-spec workstations and servers. In this chapter, we provide a detailed description on how to calculate A/B compartment profiles from processed Hi-C data on the autosomes and the active/inactive X chromosomes.
Key wordsEpigenetics Hi-C contact map 3D genome organization A/B compartments Inactive X chromosome Bioinformatics
This work was supported by a RIKEN CDB intramural grant to I.H.
- 9.Cremer T, Kreth G, Koester H et al (2000) Chromosome territories, interchromatin domain compartment, and nuclear matrix: an integrated view of the functional nuclear architecture. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 10:179–212. https://doi.org/10.1615/CritRevEukarGeneExpr.v10.i2.60CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nagano T, Várnai C, Schoenfelder S et al (2015) Comparison of Hi-C results using in-solution versus in-nucleus ligation. Genome Biol:1–13. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13059-015-0753-7
- 25.Ke Y, Xu Y, Chen X et al (2017) 3D chromatin structures of mature gametes and structural reprogramming during mammalian resource. 3D chromatin structures of mature gametes and structural reprogramming during mammalian embryogenesis. Cell 170:367–381.e20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2017.06.029CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 39.Castellano G, Le DF, Pulido AH et al (2015) HiC-inspector: a toolkit for high-throughput chromosome capture data. bioRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/020636
- 41.Lazaris C, Kelly S, Ntziachristos P et al (2016) HiC-bench: comprehensive and reproducible Hi-C data analysis designed for parameter exploration and benchmarking. bioRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-016-3387-6
- 43.Serra F, Baù D, Filion G, Marti-Renom MA (2016) Structural features of the fly chromatin colors revealed by automatic three-dimensional modeling. bioRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/036764