YASARA: A Tool to Obtain Structural Guidance in Biocatalytic Investigations
In biocatalysis, structural knowledge regarding an enzyme and its substrate interactions complements and guides experimental investigations. Structural knowledge regarding an enzyme or a biocatalytic reaction system can be generated through computational techniques, such as homology- or molecular modeling. For this type of computational work, a computer program developed for molecular modeling of proteins is required. Here, we describe the use of the program YASARA Structure. Protocols for two specific biocatalytic applications, including both homology modeling and molecular modeling such as energy minimization, molecular docking simulations and molecular dynamics simulations, are shown. The applications are chosen to give realistic examples showing how structural knowledge through homology and molecular modeling is used to guide biocatalytic investigations and protein engineering studies.
Key wordsBiocatalysis Enzyme Energy minimization Homology modeling Molecular modeling Molecular docking simulations Molecular dynamics simulations Protein engineering
This work was funded by KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
- 12.The Protein Data Bank http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/home/home.do
- 19.Krieger E, Nabuurs SB, Vriend G (2003) Homology modeling. In: Bourne PE, Weissig H (eds) Structural bioinformatics. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJGoogle Scholar
- 20.Tramontano A (2006) Protein structure prediction. Concepts and applications. Wiley-VCH, WeinheimGoogle Scholar
- 22.Leach AR (2001) Molecular modelling – principles and applications, 2nd edn. Dorset Press, DorchesterGoogle Scholar
- 23.Information regarding the YASARA program products www.yasara.org/products.html
- 25.The NCBI GenBank: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- 27.Pre-made script in YASARA for homology modeling simulations http://www.yasara.org/hm_build.mcr
- 35.Silverman RB (2002) The organic chemistry of enzyme-catalysed reactions, 2nd edn. Academic Press, London, pp 388–390Google Scholar
- 36.Pre-made script in YASARA written by Elmar Krieger for molecular docking simulations http://www.yasara.org/dock_run.mcr
- 37.Pre-made script in YASARA written by Elmar Krieger to visualize (play up) a molecular docking simulation http://www.yasara.org/dock_play.mcr
- 42.Pre-made script in YASARA written by Elmar Krieger for molecular dynamics simulation http://www.yasara.org/md_run.mcr
- 43.Pre-made script in YASARA written by Elmar Krieger to visualize (play up) a molecular dynamics simulation http://www.yasara.org/md_play.mcr