Assaying RNA Structure Inside Living Cells with SHAPE
RNA molecules have emerged as key players in nearly every facet of gene regulation. Such functions are governed by RNA’s unique ability to fold into intricate secondary and tertiary structures. In order to understand, on the molecular level, how such structures from several chemical and enzymatic methods have been developed. One such method is RNA Selective Hydroxyl Acylation analyzed by Primer Extension, or SHAPE. SHAPE has emerged as a premier method of measuring RNA structure, with recent developments extending SHAPE into living cells. Here, we describe the use of SHAPE for measuring RNA structure inside living cells.
Key wordsRNA structure SHAPE Chemical Probing
RNA research in the Spitale lab is supported by startup funds from the University of California, Irvine, the NIH Director’s New Innovator Award (1DP2GM119164 RCS) and 1RO1MH109588 (RCS). Chao Feng and Dalen Chan contributed equally to this manuscript.
- 6.Bevilacqua PC, Ritchey LE, Su Z, Assmann SM (2016) Genome-wide analysis of RNA secondary structure. Annu Rev Genet. doi: 10.1146/annurev-genet-120215-035034
- 7.Sabarinathan R, Wenzel A, Novotny P, Tang X, Kalari KR, Gorodkin J (2014) Transcriptome-wide analysis of UTRs in non-small cell lung cancer reveals cancer-related genes with SNV-induced changes on RNA secondary structure and miRNA target sites. PLoS One 9(1):e82699. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082699 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Hector RD, Burlacu E, Aitken S, Le Bihan T, Tuijtel M, Zaplatina A, Cook AG, Granneman S (2014) Snapshots of pre-rRNA structural flexibility reveal eukaryotic 40S assembly dynamics at nucleotide resolution. Nucleic Acids Res 42(19):12138–12154. doi: 10.1093/nar/gku815 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.Guo JU, Bartel DP (2016) RNA G-quadruplexes are globally unfolded in eukaryotic cells and depleted in bacteria. Science 353(6306). doi: 10.1126/science.aaf5371
- 20.Summer H, Gramer R, Droge P (2009) Denaturing urea polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (urea PAGE). J Vis Exp 32. doi: 10.3791/1485