In Vitro Assessment of Guanylyl Cyclase Activity of Plant Receptor Kinases
- 1.1k Downloads
Cyclic nucleotides such as 3′,5′-cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) and 3′,5′-cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP) are increasingly recognized as key signaling molecules in plants, and a growing number of plant mononucleotide cyclases, both adenylate cyclases (ACs) and guanylate cyclases (GCs), have been reported. Catalytically active cytosolic GC domains have been shown to be part of many plant receptor kinases and hence directly linked to plant signaling and downstream cellular responses. Here we detail, firstly, methods to identify and express essential functional GC domains of receptor kinases, and secondly, we describe mass spectrometric methods to quantify cGMP generated by recombinant GCs from receptor kinases in vitro.
Key wordsCyclic nucleotides Nucleotide cyclase Guanylate cyclase cGMP HPLC Tandem mass spectrometry
We are grateful to the KAUST Analytical Core Lab for supporting this project.
- 3.Marondedze C, Wong A, Thomas L, Irving H, Gehring C (2016) Cyclic nucleotide monophosphates in plants and plant signaling. Handb Exp Pharmacol (in press) doi: 10.1007/164_2015_35
- 13.Qi Z, Verma R, Gehring C, Yamaguchi Y, Zhao Y, Ryan CA, Berkowitz GA (2010) Ca2+ signaling by plant Arabidopsis thaliana Pep peptides depends on AtPepR1, a receptor with guanylyl cyclase activity, and cGMP-activated Ca2+ channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21193–21198CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Van Damme T, Zhang Y, Lynen F, Sandra P (2012) Determination of cyclic guanosine- and cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cGMP and cAMP) in human plasma and animal tissues by solid phase extraction on silica and liquid chromatography-triple quadrupole mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 909:14–21CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Zhang Y, Dufield D, Klover J, Li W, Szekely-Klepser G, Lepsy C, Sadagopan N (2009) Development and validation of an LC-MS/MS method for quantification of cyclic guanosine 3′,5′-monophosphate (cGMP) in clinical applications: a comparison with a EIA method. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:513–520CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Jia X, Fontaine BM, Strobel F, Weinert EE (2014) A facile and sensitive method for quantification of cyclic nucleotide monophosphates in mammalian organs: basal levels of eight cNMPs and identification of 2′,3′-cIMP. Biomol Ther 4:1070–1092Google Scholar