Isolation, Primary Culture, and Differentiation of Preadipocytes from Mouse Brown Adipose Tissue
Evolutionally, brown adipose tissue (BAT) is developed for nonshivering thermogenesis to prevent hypothermia. BAT has a high capacity to dissipate chemical energy generated from metabolism of nutrients for heat production. Therefore when BAT is activated, nutrients are “burned’ instead of being stored. This feature makes BAT an attractive target for obesity treatment. To investigate BAT function and regulation, brown adipocyte culturing is indispensable. This chapter describes a detailed protocol for isolation, primary culture, and differentiation of preadipocytes from mouse BAT. The preadipocytes can be used for investigating the regulation of brown fat cell differentiation. The differentiated brown adipocytes maintain major BAT features including high expression of uncoupling protein-1 and can be used to study BAT biology and pharmacology.
Key wordsBrown adipose tissue Preadipocytes Isolation Culture Differentiation
- 16.Aune UL, Ruiz L, Kajimura S (2013) Isolation and differentiation of stromal vascular cells to beige/brite cells. J Vis Exp 73:50191Google Scholar
- 19.Gentile P, Orlandi A, Scioli MG, Di Pasquali C, Bocchini I, Cervelli V (2012) Concise review: adipose-derived stromal vascular fraction cells and platelet-rich plasma: basic and clinical implications for tissue engineering therapies in regenerative surgery. Stem Cells Transl Med 1:230–236CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Shinoda K, Luijten IH, Hasegawa Y, Hong H, Sonne SB, Kim M, Xue R, Chondronikola M, Cypess AM, Tseng YH, Nedergaard J, Sidossis LS, Kajimura S (2015) Genetic and functional characterization of clonally derived adult human brown adipocytes. Nat Med 21:389–394Google Scholar
- 21.Xue R, Lynes MD, Dreyfuss JM, Shamsi F, Schulz TJ, Zhang H, Huang TL, Townsend KL, Li Y, Takahashi H, Weiner LS, White AP, Lynes MS, Rubin LL, Goodyear LJ, Cypess AM, Tseng YH. (2015) Clonal analyses and gene profiling identify genetic biomarkers of the thermogenic potential of human brown and white preadipocytes, Nat Med 21:767–868.Google Scholar
- 22.Lee MJ, Fried SK (2014) Optimal protocol for the differentiation and metabolic analysis of human adipose stromal cells. Methods Enzymol 538:49–65.Google Scholar