3D-Video-Based Computerized Behavioral Analysis for In Vivo Neuropharmacology and Neurophysiology in Rodents
Video-based computerized tracking and behavioral analysis have been widely used in neuropharmacological and neurophysiological studies in rodents. Most previous systems have used 2D video recording to detect behaviors; however, 2D video cannot determine the 3D locations of animals and encounters difficulties in tracking animals when animals overlap, e.g., when mounting. To overcome these limitations, we have developed a 3D video-based analysis system for rats, named 3DTracker.
In this chapter, we explain how to setup 3DTracker in an experimental room and how the system works. We also present applications of the 3D system for analyses of both sexual behavior and a novel object-recognition test, and discuss other possible applications of the 3D system. The 3D system will provide an expanded repertoire of behavioral tests for computerized analysis and could open the door to new approaches for in vivo neuropharmacology and neurophysiology for rodents.
Key wordsBehavioral neuropharmacology Neuronal recording Rats Mice 3D-video-based computerized analysis of behaviors
(MP4 9244 kb)
(MP4 1136 kb)
- 5.Nakamura T, Matsumoto J, Takamura Y et al (2015) Relationships among parvalbumin-immunoreactive neuron density, phase-locked gamma oscillations, and autistic/schizophrenic symptoms in PDGFR-β knock-out and control mice. PLoS One 10(3):e0119258. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0119258 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mizumori SJY (ed) (2008) Hippocampal place fields: relevance to learning and memory. Oxford University Press, EnglandGoogle Scholar
- 23.Berlyne DE (1950) Novelty and curiosity as determinants of exploratory behavior. Br J Psychol 41:68–80Google Scholar
- 34.Bretas RV, Nakamura T, Matsumoto J (2015) Quantitative analysis of monkey emotional gestures by a markerless 3D motion capture. Paper presented at Neuroscience 2015, Chicago, 17–21 October 2015Google Scholar
- 37.Lai PL, Basso DM, Fisher LC and Sheets A (2011) 3D Tracking of mouse locomotion using shape-from-silhouette techniques. In: The 2012 International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Pattern Recognition, Las Vegas, NevadaGoogle Scholar
- 39.Long JD, Buzsaki G (2014) An ethological profile of the interplay between sharp wave-ripples and theta activity in CA1. Paper presented at Neuroscience 2014, Washington, DC, 15–19 November 2014Google Scholar