Visualization of Actin Cytoskeletal Dynamics in Fixed and Live Drosophila Egg Chambers
Visualization of actin cytoskeletal dynamics is critical for understanding the spatial and temporal regulation of actin remodeling. Drosophila oogenesis provides an excellent model system for visualizing the actin cytoskeleton. Here, we present methods for imaging the actin cytoskeleton in Drosophila egg chambers in both fixed samples by phalloidin staining and in live egg chambers using transgenic actin labeling tools.
KeywordsActin cytoskeleton Oogenesis Nurse cells Microscopy Drosophila
We would like to thank Andrew Spracklen for his work on the live imaging protocols as well as the actin fixation protocol, and Ding Ye and Fang Lin for advice on using low-melt agarose to embed live egg chambers for imaging. This work was funded by National Science Foundation MCB-1158527.
- 1.Spradling AC (1993) Developmental genetics of oogenesis. In: Martinez-Arias B (ed) The development of Drosophila melanogaster. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, pp 1–70Google Scholar
- 3.Guild GM, Connelly PS, Shaw MK et al (1997) Actin filament cables in Drosophila nurse cells are composed of modules that slide passively past one another during dumping. J Cell Biol 138:783–797Google Scholar
- 4.Groen CM, Spracklen AJ, Fagan TN et al (2012) Drosophila Fascin is a novel downstream target of prostaglandin signaling during actin remodeling. Mol Biol Cell 23:4567–4578Google Scholar
- 5.Frydman HM, Spradling AC (2001) The receptor-like tyrosine phosphatase Lar is required for epithelial planar polarity and for axis determination within Drosophila ovarian follicles. Development 128:3209–3220Google Scholar
- 6.Spracklen AJ, Kelpsch DJ, Chen X et al (2014) Prostaglandins temporally regulate cytoplasmic actin bundle formation during Drosophila oogenesis. Mol Biol Cell 25:397–411Google Scholar
- 7.Roper K, Mao Y, Brown NH (2005) Contribution of sequence variation in Drosophila actins to their incorporation into actin-based structures in vivo. J Cell Sci 118:3937–3948Google Scholar
- 8.Spracklen AJ, Fagan TN, Lovander KE et al (2014) The pros and cons of common actin labeling tools for visualizing actin dynamics during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol 393:209–226Google Scholar
- 9.Huelsmann S, Ylanne J, Brown NH (2013) Filopodia-like actin cables position nuclei in association with perinuclear actin in Drosophila nurse cells. Dev Cell 26:604–615Google Scholar
- 16.Spracklen AJ, Tootle TL (2013) The utility of stage-specific mid-to-late Drosophila follicle isolation. J Vis Exp (82): 50493Google Scholar
- 18.Prasad M, Jang AC, Starz-Gaiano M et al (2007) A protocol for culturing Drosophila melanogaster stage 9 egg chambers for live imaging. Nat Protoc 2:2467–2473Google Scholar