Genome-Wide CRISPR Off-Target DNA Break Detection by the BLISS Method
- 977 Downloads
Clustered regularly interspaced palindromic repeat (CRISPR) systems are revolutionizing many areas of biology and medicine, where they are increasingly utilized as therapeutic tools for correcting disease-causing mutations. From a clinical perspective, unintended off-target (OT) DNA double-strand break (DSB) induction by CRISPR nucleases represents a major concern. Therefore, in recent years considerable effort has been dedicated to developing methods for assessing the OT activity of CRISPR nucleases, which in turn can be used to guide engineering of nucleases with minimal OT activity. Here we describe a detailed protocol for quantifying OT DSBs genome-wide in cultured cells transfected with CRISPR enzymes, based on the breaks labeling in situ and sequencing (BLISS) method that we have previously developed. CRISPR-BLISS is versatile and scalable, and allows assessment of multiple guide RNAs in different cell types and time points following cell transfection or transduction.
Key wordsCRISPR Off-targets DNA double-strand breaks BLISS
We thank Winston Yan and Feng Zhang from the Broad Institute for support in setting up CRISPR-BLISS.
- 17.Newton MD, Taylor BJ, Driessen RPC et al (2019) DNA stretching induces Cas9 off-target activity. Nat Struct Mol Biol. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41594-019-0188-z
- 20.Kosicki M, Tomberg K, Bradley A (2018) Repair of double-strand breaks induced by CRISPR–Cas9 leads to large deletions and complex rearrangements. Nat Biotechnol 36. https://doi.org/10.1038/nbt.4192
- 32.Martin F, Sánchez-Hernández S, Gutiérrez-Guerrero A et al (2016) Biased and unbiased methods for the detection of off-target cleavage by CRISPR/Cas9: an overview. Int J Mol Sci 17. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17091507
- 35.Kim D, Kim D, Lee G et al (2019) Genome-wide target specificity of CRISPR RNA-guided adenine base editors. Nat Biotechnol:1. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41587-019-0050-1
- 45.Mirzazadeh R, Kallas T, Bienko M, Crosetto N (2018) Genome – wide profiling of DNA double – strand breaks by the BLESS and BLISS methods. Methods Mol Biol:167–194Google Scholar