Primary T-Cell Transduction to Study Follicular Helper T-Cell Differentiation
Follicular helper T (Tfh) cells constitute a specialized CD4+ T-cell subset that localizes in close proximity to B cells and are essential in the production of high-affinity, class-switched antibodies, and their dysregulations are also involved in autoimmune diseases. Modulating gene expression patterns in primary T cells is an important approach to understanding Tfh cell differentiation and function. In this chapter, we describe a protocol to evaluate Tfh cell differentiation with OT-II TCR transgenic T cells by retrovirally transducing gene of interest. This protocol adopts the recombinant retrovirus-based transduction of primary CD4+ T cells, and it also includes procedures for adoptive transfer, immunization, and flow cytometry analysis.
Key wordsRetroviral vector Spinfection Follicular helper T cells Adoptive transfer OVA-Alum Flow cytometry
- 5.Yu D, Rao S, Tsai LM, Lee SK, He Y, Sutcliffe EL, Srivastava M, Linterman M, Zheng L, Simpson N, Ellyard JI, Parish IA, Ma CS, Li QJ, Parish CR, Mackay CR, Vinuesa CG (2009) The transcriptional repressor Bcl-6 directs T follicular helper cell lineage commitment. Immunity 31:457–468CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Weber JP, Fuhrmann F, Feist RK, Lahmann A, Al Baz MS, Gentz LJ, Vu Van D, Mages HW, Haftmann C, Riedel R, Grün JR, Schuh W, Kroczek RA, Radbruch A, Mashreghi MF, Hutloff A (2015) ICOS maintains the T follicular helper cell phenotype by down-regulating Krüppel-like factor 2. J Exp Med 212:217–233CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Liu X, Chen X, Zhong B, Wang A, Wang X, Chu F, Nurieva RI, Yan X, Chen P, van der Flier LG, Nakatsukasa H, Neelapu SS, Chen W, Clevers H, Tian Q, Qi H, Wei L, Dong C (2014) Transcription factor achaete-scute homologue 2 initiates follicular T-helper-cell development. Nature 507:513–518CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wang H, Geng J, Wen X, Bi E, Kossenkov AV, Wolf AI, Tas J, Choi YS, Takata H, Day TJ, Chang LY, Sprout SL, Becker EK, Willen J, Tian L, Wang X, Xiao C, Jiang P, Crotty S, Victora GD, Showe LC, Tucker HO, Erikson J, Hu H (2014) The transcription factor Foxp1 is a critical negative regulator of the differentiation of follicular helper T cells. Nat Immunol 15:667–675CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Weber JP, Fuhrmann F, Feist RK, Lahmann A, Al Baz MS, Gentz LJ, Mages HW, Haftmann C, Riedel R, Grun JR, Schuh W, Kroczek RA, Radbrunch A, Mashreghi MF, Hutloff A (2015) ICOS maintains the T follicular helper cell phenotype by down-regulating Krüppel-like factor 2. J Exp Med 212:217–233CrossRefGoogle Scholar