pp 1-4 | Cite as
Method for Evaluating Neuromodulatory Properties of Dental Pulp Stem Cell as an In Vitro Model for Parkinson’s Disease
Several research groups have utilized dental pulp stem cells for numerous studies as treatment modality for Parkinson’s disease (PD). However, the roles of dental pulp stem cells in governing the Parkinson’s disease inflammatory microenvironment remain to be evaluated. In this article, we elaborate the method where we can investigate the effects of dental pulp stem cells on neurons and microglia in an in vitro inflammatory microenvironment.
KeywordsDental pulp stem cell SHED Parkinson’s disease (PD) Deciduous tooth Regenerative medicine
This work was supported by University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Authors thank scientific input and relevant discussions from Envirotransgene® Global, Chennai, India.
- 2.Parihar A, Parihar P, Solanki I, Parihar MS (2019) Alpha synuclein and Parkinson’s disease. In: Pathology, prevention and therapeutics of neurodegenerative disease. Springer, Singapore, pp 1–14Google Scholar
- 3.Palmer C, Coronel R, Bernabeu-Zornoza A, Liste I (2019) Therapeutic application of stem cell and gene therapy in Parkinson’s disease. In: Pathology, prevention and therapeutics of neurodegenerative disease. Springer, Singapore, pp 159–171Google Scholar
- 4.Abu Kasim NH, Govindasamy V, Gnanasegaran N, Musa S, Pradeep PJ, Srijaya TC, Aziz ZACA (2015) Unique molecular signatures influencing the biological function and fate of post-natal stem cells isolated from different sources. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 9(12):E252–E266Google Scholar
- 5.Jayaraman P, Govindasamy V, Gnanasegaran N, Kunasekaran W, Vasanthan P, Musa S, Kasim NHA (2016) Expression patterns of immune genes in long-term cultured dental stem cells. Clin Oral Investig 20(1):109–116Google Scholar
- 6.Gnanasegaran N (2019) Myriad applications of dental pulp stem cells. Arq Bras Oftalmol 82(3):258Google Scholar
- 7.Gnanasegaran N, Govindasamy V, Musa S, Kasim NHA (2016) ReNCell VM conditioned medium enhances the induction of dental pulp stem cells into dopaminergic like cells. Cytotechnology 68(2):343–353Google Scholar
- 8.Gnanasegaran N, Govindasamy V, Kathirvaloo P, Musa S, Abu Kasim NH (2018) Effects of cell cycle phases on the induction of dental pulp stem cells toward dopaminergic-like cells. J Tissue Eng Regen Med 12(2):e881–e893Google Scholar
- 9.Gnanasegaran N, Govindasamy V, Mani V, Abu Kasim NH (2017) Neuroimmunomodulatory properties of DPSCs in an in vitro model of Parkinson’s disease. IUBMB Life 69(9):689–699Google Scholar
- 10.Bindal P, Ramasamy TS, Kasim NHA, Gnanasegaran N, Chai WL (2018) Immune responses of human dental pulp stem cells in lipopolysaccharide-induced microenvironment. Cell Biol Int 42(7):832–840Google Scholar