In-Lab Manufacturing of Decellularized Rat Renal Scaffold for Kidney Bioengineering
Whole-organ decellularization is recently gaining interest in the transplantation field as strategy to obtain acellular scaffold only composed by extracellular matrix. These structures, that still remain organ-specific in terms of biological cues and tridimensional morphology could be then recellularized with patient's autologous cells. The final result should be a nwe transplantable autologous organ that should by-pass, at the same time, the problem of organ shortage and secondly the consequences related to the immunosuppression need. Herein we describe the protocol to manufacture a whole-organ transplantable rat kidney scaffold by a dual-detergent (Triton X-100 and SDS) arterial peristaltic perfusion. Final results show whole-renal acellular scaffold with contextual preservation of tridimensional architecture and biological properties deriving from the extracellular matrix composition.
Keywords:Extracellular matrix Kidney scaffold Kidney transplantation Organ bioengineering Rat model Regenerative medicine
AP was supported by an Investigator Fellowship grant from Collegio Ghislieri, Pavia, Italy.
- 1.World Health Organization (2013) World Health Statistic. World Health Organization, Geneve, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- 15.Akhyari P, Aubin H, Gwanmesia P, Barth M, Hoffmann S, Huelsmann J, Preuss K, Lichtenberg A (2011) The quest for an optimized protocol for whole-heart decellularization: a comparison of three popular and a novel decellularization technique and their diverse effects on crucial extracellular matrix qualities. Tissue Eng Part C Methods 17:915–926CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Peloso A, Urbani L, Cravedi P, Katari R, Maghsoudlou P, Fallas ME, Sordi V, Citro A, Purroy C, Niu G, McQuilling JP, Sittadjody S, Farney AC, Iskandar SS, Zambon JP, Rogers J, Stratta RJ, Opara EC, Piemonti L, Furdui CM, Soker S, De Coppi P, Orlando G (2016) The human pancreas as a source of protolerogenic extracellular matrix scaffold for a new-generation bioartificial endocrine pancreas. Ann Surg 264:169–179CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Peloso A, Petrosyan A, Da Sacco S, Booth C, Zambon JP, O'Brien T, Aardema C, Robertson J, De Filippo RE, Soker S, Stratta RJ, Perin L, Orlando G (2015) Renal extracellular matrix scaffolds from discarded kidneys maintain glomerular morphometry and vascular resilience and retains critical growth factors. Transplantation 99:1807–1816CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Mazza G, Rombouts K, Rennie Hall A, Urbani L, Vinh Luong T, Al-Akkad W, Longato L, Brown D, Maghsoudlou P, Dhillon AP, Fuller B, Davidson B, Moore K, Dhar D, De Coppi P, Malago M, Pinzani M (2015) Decellularized human liver as a natural 3D-scaffold for liver bioengineering and transplantation. Sci Rep 5:13079CrossRefGoogle Scholar