Aims and scope
We are pleased to announce that Virtual Reality will become a fully open access (OA) on 1 January 2024. As a result, all submissions received from 1 August 2023 are subject to an article publication charge (APC) if accepted and published in the journal (unless a waiver is applied). Please see our FAQs which can be found at the bottom of this page for more information on APCs, funding options, waivers and the journal's transition to fully open access.
The journal, established in 1995, publishes original research in Virtual Reality, Augmented and Mixed Reality that shapes and informs the community. The multidisciplinary nature of the field means that submissions are welcomed on a wide range of topics including, but not limited to:
- Original research studies of Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Mixed Reality and real-time visualization, graphics, and applications
- Development and evaluation of systems, tools, techniques and software that advance the field, including:
- Display technologies, including Head Mounted Displays, simulators, and immersive displays.
- Haptic technologies, including novel devices, interaction and rendering
- Interaction management, including gesture control, eye gaze, biosensors, biofeedback, and wearables
- Tracking technologies, motion capture, 3D spatial sound, virtual smell, and virtual taste
- VR/AR/MR in medicine, including training, surgical simulation, rehabilitation, and tissue/organ modelling.
- Impactful and original applications and studies of VR/AR/MR’s utility in areas such as manufacturing, business, telecommunications, arts, education, design, entertainment and defence
- Research demonstrating new techniques and approaches to designing, building and evaluating virtual and augmented reality systems
- Original research studies assessing the social, ethical, data or legal aspects of VR/AR/MR
To complement original research articles, the journal also welcomes papers that provide state of the art reviews of specific aspects of VR/MR/AR. Such papers must be rigorous and represent a valuable resource for researcher and practitioners.
The journal’s audience includes those undertaking research in academia and industry, and developers and users of applications. Since readers may therefore be unfamiliar with all aspects of a specific topic being discussed, emphasis will be placed on clear, well-written, and accessible articles which will appeal to a multidisciplinary audience.