Spatial variability of seed depth placement of maize under no tillage in Alentejo, Portugal
- 3.4k Downloads
Among the various factors that contribute towards producing a successful maize crop, seed depth placement is a key determinant, especially in a no-tillage system. The main objective of this work was to evaluate the spatial variability of seed depth placement and crop establishment in a maize crop under no-tillage conditions, using precision farming technologies. The obtained results indicate that seed depth placement was significantly affected by soil moisture content, while a very high coefficient of variation of 39% was found for seed depth. Seeding depth had a significant impact on mean emergence time and percentage of emerged plants. Shallow average depth values and the high coefficient of variation suggest a need for improvement in controlling the seeder sowing depth.
Keywordsmaps maize no-tillage seeding depth sensing
The authors acknowledge the permission given by Pedro Vacas de Carvalho, owner of the farm where the trial was carried out and Area400 (http://area400.com/) for remote sensing services.
- Bilbro, J.D., Wanjura, D.F., 1982. Soil crusts and cotton emergence relationships. Transactions of ASAE 25 (4) 1484–1487.Google Scholar
- Conceição, L.A., Elorza, P.B., Freixial, R., Dias, S., Garrido, M., Valero, C., 2012. Proceedings of the International Conference of Agricultural Engineering, CIGR Ag-Eng 2012, Valencia, Spain.Google Scholar
- Fancelli, A.L. 2000. Crop physiology and basic aspects of management for high yield. In: (Eds.) Santini, I., Fancelli, A.L. Maize crop: management strategies for the south region. Guarapuava: Fundação Agrária de Pesquisa Agro-Pecuaria, 2000, 103–106.Google Scholar
- Garcia, I.R., Aday, O., Sanchez, M. 1999. Comparison of soil resistance to penetration and soil moisture content of a natural and modified Cambisol. Farmer Center no.3: 57–61.Google Scholar
- Garden, W.H. 1986. Water content. In: (Eds.) Klute, A., Campbell, G.S., Jackson, R.D., Mortland, M.M., Nielsen, D.R., Methods of Soil Analyses. Part.1. Physical, Mineralogical Methods. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI, USA, ISBN 0-89118-088-5 pp. 493–541.Google Scholar
- INE Instituto Nacional de Estatística, 2011. Censos agrícolas – principais resultados 2009 (Census of Agriculture – main results 2009). Lisboa, Portugal. Instituto Nacional de Estatística, I.P.Google Scholar
- Karayel, D., Ozmerzi, A., 2008. Evaluation of three depth-control components on seed placement accuracy and emergence for a precision planter. Applied Engineeriong in Agriculture 24 (3) 271–276.Google Scholar
- Sá, J.C.M., 2004. Adubação fosfatada no sistema de plantio direto. (Phosphorus fertilization in no-tillage system). In: Proceedings of the Conference on Phosphorus in Brazilian Agriculture. Anais (ed.). 201–220.Google Scholar